Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What to do during the middle of the day - suggestions? >

What to do during the middle of the day - suggestions?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What to do during the middle of the day - suggestions?

Old 11-15-2007, 06:18 AM

Default What to do during the middle of the day - suggestions?

I am hunting on land that is over an hour from my home each way. The land has no utilities and there is little to do in the nearest towns.

It hardly seems worth it to drive home after the morning hunt to turn around and drive back for the evening. The is about 4 hours of free time in the middle of the day.

Any suggestions on what to do?
Old 11-15-2007, 06:29 AM

Default RE: What to do during the middle of the day - suggestions?

We hunt the whole day. WE have noticed the deer move more during the middle of the day because of everyone being in there in the morning and evenings.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:31 AM

Do you find they stay in the woods more during the day rather than the fields?
Old 11-15-2007, 06:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

You could read a book. You could sleep. You could take a laptop computer and work, if your work is related to working on computers.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:47 AM
Typical Buck

It's tough for some people, but if you can sit on stand the entire day you may be rewarded with some action. I bowhunted on Tuesday the 13th and had tremendous amount of activity between 12:30-2:30. Two mature bucks chasing a doe. I had a small 6 pt. walk right under my tree. The mature buck wouldn't come any closer than about 50 yards. Most hunters will walk out at about 10:00 and come back in about 3:00. If you can be there at that time, they may jump deer on their way in or out.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:56 AM
Typical Buck

I'll be in the woods this Saturday from 30 min before sunrise till 30 min after sunset. I plan on doing one thing. Hunting. But that includes sitting, sitting, sitting, talking to God, not working on the yard or my mother n' laws house, not working, not answering the phone, not running to the store, in short I plan on NOT doing all of the things I usually have to do on a Saturday and doing the two or three things I have to "fit in" during the day. Other people may work or read or whatever. But I can do that at home. I'm most excited about being able to clear my mind and have a leasurely talk with God bout some things going on in my life that I need guidance about.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:37 AM

I’m partial to a big lunch and a nap.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lunch, check my trail cameras for the previous days pictures. I have a camper trailer on my property so I hang out in there some.

This was my first time to hunt from a blind and I'm getting a little more accustomed to it, but the first morning was a long 4 hours with nothing moving after about 8 am.

My trail cameras don't have much activity after about 9:30 and generally don't start catching activity again until close to 5:00 but I have caught a few pictures in the middle of the day, but just a fraction of the activity in the morning and evening. That may change during the rut.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:25 AM
Typical Buck

if you're like me and too restless to stay in the stand all day, I'll slip around the woods or eat lunch out in the woods or go to another stand to change the scenery up. This time of year with rutting activity going and hunting pressure moving the bucks around it is best to stay in the woods all day, no matter how you have to do it.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:52 AM
Fork Horn

If it's really cold, I'll maybe get down and do a little stalk/still hunting to try to push something to the younger kids. For the most part, I sit still and wait for someone else to do the pushing. I've gone a year or two without taking a deer and still had an awesome time watching wildlife. Couple years back I watched an owl come out of nowhere and snag a red squirrel off a stump no less than 20 yards in front ofme....one of the wildest things I've ever witnessed with my own eyes. I'd maybe consider a book if I ever got too bored...the Ipod thing defeats the whole purpose for me, the becoming one with nature. Christ, I sound like Teddy Nugent.

Quick Reply: What to do during the middle of the day - suggestions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.