Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Movement Question

Old 11-14-2007, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Deer Movement Question

I am hunting an area with ton of big buck sign tomorrow, and after checking the weather im confused as to what to expect. It supposed to rain all night, a good soaking accoring to the weahter channel, tapering off around 9 or so. The rain gets me excited but here inlies the problem, its suppsosed to be windy about 15 mph out of the WNW, during the rain and increasing once the rain quits. I think i should i have a window of opportunity after the rain quits and before the wind really picks up where there will be good activity. After that, I'm thinkin' the wind will hole them up. What do you guys think? Any advice/information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 11-14-2007, 02:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Deer Movement Question

supposed to rain all night, a good soaking accoring to the weahter channel, tapering off around 9 or so. The rain gets me excited but here inlies the problem, its suppsosed to be windy about 15 mph out of the WNW, during the rain and increasing once the rain quits. I think i should i have a window of opportunity after the rain quits and before the wind really picks up where there will be good activity. After that, I'm thinkin' the wind will hole them up. What do you guys think? Any advice/information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
It sounds like you are hunting in the midwest from the weather forecast you are describing. If this is the case. The rut is on. It doesn't matter.

It's opening day of gun season here in Michigan. You can bet I will be in the woods even with the wind.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm actually hunting in Va. but the rut is well underway, on Tuesday i saw a monster buck chasing does in the same area im going to hunt tomorrow. i'm going to be out there regardless don't worry about that, but do you think that wind will play a major factor in rutting activity and deer movement overall?
Old 11-14-2007, 02:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

The rut will make sure that they will continue moving after the rain but I have found that they keep close to their bedding area and cover if the wind is greater then 8 mph. So I would hunt deep in the woods. Just my .02
Old 11-14-2007, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks thats great news, cause im hunting a bedding/feeding area where the does seem to just hang around all day, so i should have a good hunt, and hopefully see some good bucks.