Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 new 2-way radio doesnt work with old radios? >

new 2-way radio doesnt work with old radios?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

new 2-way radio doesnt work with old radios?

Old 11-14-2007, 08:20 AM

Default new 2-way radio doesnt work with old radios?

I've got a new pair of Motorola T5500 that work fine with EACH OTHER, but they don't work well with my friends older 2-way radios (variousmakes & models)and I cant figure out why. When I say they dont work well what actually is happening is that I can hear all of their conversations on my radio as clear as day, but when I try talking to them all they hear is static and mumble. This happens from as close as 20 feet to as far away as one mile so it's not a distance/proximity problem. We've been using channel 12/0 and 12/2, I don't know anything about the differences in channels so is there a better channel to use? Is it possible that my new radios frequencies are just a bit different that the old radios frequencies? Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: new 2-way radio doesnt work with old radios?

Sounds like you got yourself some cheepies, do it the smart way, use yourcell phones instead
Old 11-14-2007, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Same problem we had! you need to change your new radio's channels to 12/0 thats where the old ones are at! by 12 /0 i mean you should see a small number at the top right right after the channel. normally coming from the factory it is at 1. anyway the old ones didnt have the extra channels within a channel, so in order to be able to hear them and talk to themyou need to change the new ones to the same as the old ones!
Old 11-14-2007, 12:29 PM
Fork Horn

My REAL OLD motorolas work with my new ones fine...little lacking in clarity though.

I think you have some from back then that have channels, probably 12but up to 22, withoutany private sub-codes. You could also be running in GMRS format while your others are only FRS models, but I doubt that's the case. Do what Andy mentioned and try the channel on one while going thru the same channel and codes on the newer one until you getthe clearest connection. Try them all, whether it's thru 12 or 121.

To my fellow Cheesehead in Neillsville, I don't know about you, but I can't get jack for signal where I go with my Nextel phone once I get 3 miles off the freeway or away from a cell tower anywhere past Tomah heading west. My boss has a cabin up in Laona and another co-worker is up in Presque Isle....All no go.

I know, get different service? They pay the bill and supply the phone.