Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Hornady 12ga. SST good for deer? >

Hornady 12ga. SST good for deer?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hornady 12ga. SST good for deer?

Old 11-22-2007, 11:14 AM

Default RE: Hornady 12ga. SST good for deer?

I HUNT IN NORTHERN ILLINOIS, SHOTGUN ONLY. ON OPENING DAY I HAD A BUCK WALK OUT IN AN OPEN SHOOTING LANE ABOUT 85YDS. AWAY I SHOOT A 870 FULLY RIFLED WITH A CANTILEVER AND SCOPE. FOR AMMO I USE 3 INCH BRENNEKE GOLD 1 1/8 LOAD I SHOT HIM RIGHT THRU THE LUNGS AND HE DROPPED LIKE A ROCK. 30 MINUTES LATER A DOE CAME FLYING ACROSS THE FIELD AT 60 YDS. I TOOK ONE SHOT ON A DEAD RUN AND ROLLED HER. I HAVE NEVER SEEN A SLUG WITH SO MUCH KNOCK DOWN POWER AS THESE. AND AT 50 YDS. ITS IN THE CENTER OF THE TARGET AT A HUNDRED ITS IN THE SAME HOLE..................IF YOU WANT ACCURACY AND BONE CRUSHING STOPPING POWER THEN THIS IS IT................
Old 11-22-2007, 05:26 PM

That is the exact same slug I used and it just zipped right through the deer and it ran about 90 yards. I wasn't that impressed with them. Probably put a hurtin on one if you shot in the shoulder though.

Paul
Old 11-22-2007, 08:15 PM

Don't know much about Hornady slugs. I'm still in love with Winchester BRI 1 oz sabots. This slug is AWESOME. I have killed deer and coyotes out to 150yds, no sweat. They drop big animals quick.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just sighted in with these slugs and they group fantastic. I will be using them for hunting for the first time this Monday morning, so if I get to shoot a deer, I will give my report. As far as knocking a deer off it's feet, I have never seen anything do that in my 38 years of hunting, but I have dropped several deer in their tracks, DOI ( Dead on Impact), with several different kinds of shotgun slugs, both foster and sabot. As someone stated earlier, it's shot placement that counts. Like I said, I have never shot a deer with these slugs, so I do not know what kind of blood trail they will make, which is also important if you have a very far tracking job, but good shot placement should take this out of theequation. Just my opinion.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:19 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: ihunt1975

Don't know much about Hornady slugs. I'm still in love with Winchester BRI 1 oz sabots. This slug is AWESOME. I have killed deer and coyotes out to 150yds, no sweat. They drop big animals quick.
10-4 partner! I was shooting them before Winchester boughtBallistic Research Institute. I started shooting themwhen it was BRI out of California.I have a 60's Shooters Bible that has all of the BRI research statistics before they were put on the market...In 1984 I installed a Hastings Rifled barrel on my 1966 BRN A-5 12ga and at 150+ yds I can bust burned-out flood lamps on the mound...

Old 11-27-2007, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I had an opportunity to shoot a deer this morning with the SST's. I shot a big doe at about 45 yards. I was hunting near the crest of a hill, and when I shot her, she ran up over the top, out of sight. I came down out of my stand and checked for blood. I had NO PROBLEM AT ALL finding blood! She was bleeding out both sides on the sides of trees and all over the ground! I followed up to the top of the hill and she was laying there, about 55 yards from where I had shot her. She had a 20 gauge sized hole ( I shoot a 12 gauge ), through her ribcage. When I field dressed her, she was hit through both lungs. No problem with these slugs so far, although the slug passed through so fast, she didn't seem to get the kinetic energy of some other slugs I have used in the past. I'm sure she would have if the shoulder would have been hit though.