Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

[Deleted]

Old 01-21-2003, 05:09 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-21-2003, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Why do people hang their deer for a few days?

Thier talking about "aging" the meat. Some say it makes the meat more tender and better tasteing.

"Hey ya'll, watch this"
Old 01-21-2003, 09:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

What Kodiakhuntmaster says is what I have always heard , I don't know if it would matter that much in a deer but I know it does in elk and beef both .
Old 01-21-2003, 10:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Though it is recommended to age beef, it is not recommended to age venison(deer). I've read this in many articles and heard from some chef's, some even posted here that as soon as an animal dyes, the meat begins to spoil. In the case of venison, it is so lean that it also tends to dry out. It is recommended to cool the meat as immediate as possible and to process and freeze or use it as soon as possible.

<font color=blue>Good Luck and Good Shooting</font id=blue>

<font color=red>Rob</font id=red>
Old 01-22-2003, 06:07 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-22-2003, 07:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Rob, Any meat begins tom spoil unless it is aged properly.This can only be done between the tepms of 34-40 degrees.I read articles written by master chefs that explain how and why to age venison.

Visitor, It takes a few days just to get the rigamortis out of the meat.

This is from the University of Georgia's web site.

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Aging Venison
Many hunters like aged venison. To age a deer, leave the skin on to prevent drying and store the carcass for up to two weeks at 34 to 36 degrees. If you take the deer to a meat processor for cutting, wrapping and freezing, meat inspection rules require that the hide be removed before the carcass can enter the facility. This will result in excessive drying if the carcass is aged. The temperature during aging should be 40 degrees or below and only deer which have been properly handled, are clean and were not gut shot should be aged. Aging improves tenderness, but causes greater trimming losses due to dehydration of the exposed surfaces and spoilage in the gun shot area.

Aging venison is not a good idea because of the adverse conditions under which deer are dressed, the thin fat cover on the carcass, the requirements by meat inspectors that the hide be removed and the contamination often on the carcass. Processing should be done within three to four days after the kill.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

Here is a link to another.http://www.chefdepot.net/agingwildgame.htm

One thing is for sure if you don't have the proper facilities to age your deer it's almost impossible to do it right.

Old 01-22-2003, 07:20 AM
Typical Buck

Mine hangs and ages for at least a week. If it's too warm out it gets skinned ASAP and goes into my aging fridg for at least a week at 34deg. It takes the gamey taste out of them..As for tenderness, maybe a little more tender but that has a lot to do with the way the meat is cooked also..

Processors want high throughput...period...Volume = money = high throughput, hence the reason they do not age them.

I've never heard anyone recommending that the meat not be aged, that's a new one..

~Will Hunt For Food~
Old 01-22-2003, 07:26 AM
Super Moderator

I always age my venison when the weather allows. I've tried it both ways off and on for 37 seasons and a properly aged deer tastes alot better.

&quot;Semper Fi&quot;
Old 01-22-2003, 12:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks Charlie that saved me some typing! LOL If the temps are right I will hang mine up to 10 days!

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Proud father of a Devil Dog
Old 01-22-2003, 12:17 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]