Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New Guy

Old 11-11-2007, 12:18 AM
Fork Horn

Default New Guy

I am brand new to hunting. I have spent the past 17 years in the military. I know military tactics and guns but nothing about hunting. I actualy went out for the first time ever last Friday with a friend. It wasn't bad, however I did pull a SNAFU; saw a buck but didn't take the shot. Instead I tapped my buddies boot in the stand above me and pointed to the deer. Our cover was needless to say blown. It was quite comical and we got a laugh out of it. Anyway, he has a vast knowledge of hunting (15-20 years). But I do not want to totally cramp his game. Where is the best place to start? Books, Outdoor Channel? Can anyone help...?
Old 11-11-2007, 04:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New Guy

Welcome! This is a good plce to start. Have your friend put you in a seperate stand next time lol.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Old 11-11-2007, 05:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

This forum is one of the best places to be on for getting new info. Just spend some time looking through the pages and don't be afraid to ask a few quetions. There will most likely be someone on here that will have the answer to your questions.

Good Luck!!!
Pheasantfanatic
Old 11-11-2007, 07:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

Welcome to the forum. Lots of good people on here that will try to help you any way they can. Getting and keeping good hunting land is imperative. If I was you and had a friend that was willing to take you a few times then you have a great start. I would go back to that same tree and get back in it.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

hey there welcome aboard
Old 11-11-2007, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome to the forum and hunting. There are many on here that will help you out. There is however no substitution for trial and error. Scent control, hunting the wind and the ability to stay still are very important. Don't get me wrong I still get buck fever all the time. Hell,seeing a doe excites me when it's a shooter.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:38 AM
Fork Horn

Yeah that is a good idea....hahaha. We are going out tomorrow morning for bow. I won't make the same mistake twice.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:45 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the responses. You have touched already on some of things that I already have questions about. The whole staying still and patience for me is not a problem. I have sitting in hide sites in the military for the past ten years. The new things are scent control (What are the techniques?), learning the wind etc. When I hear that advice it makes perfect sense to me. What are some common first time out mistakes I can avoid? How do you "find" the good areas? Walk them for rub and scrapes prior to going out..? Etc..?
Old 11-11-2007, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cal516,

I'm still learning myself, and what's been good for me are books and magazines. Read whatever you can about deer habits and how to stay undetected. Hunters get burned because of movement, noise, and wind.

Stupid advice: "forget the wind, just hunt." Deer don't forget the wind.
Great advice: "The harder you're hunting, the less you move." ANY movement or little noise can alert a deer, so you've got to be as still and slow as possible

I don't know so much about scent control and how those products work. Many hunters rely on the wind and do just fine. Others swear by them.

Good areas can be found walking ground just as you say. Rubs and scrapes will let you know a deer's there. Look for food sources like grain crops, orchards, wild plants that deer eat. Look for weedy, brushy areas that are obviously matted down from deer lying there. Find the trails in between and set up there, just off the trails. By the way, a buck's bedding area is normally by itself away from the does and fawns. Don't mess around with it. If you scare a mature buck out of a bedding area or spend too much time there, he will move to another area. If you stumble into a buck's bedding area, get out and don't go in again. A one time incident, from what my reading indicates, will probably not cause him to move out permanently, but he will tolerate very little of your presence after that.

Also look for travel corridors. Trails are obvious. So are terrain features that funnel deer: Narrow strips of cover between larger areas, fencelines, bluffs/cliffs, streams, benches (flat spots on steep hillsides that allow flat walking), saddles (dips in ridges that allow crossing over with less exposure, especially if there's cover), and brushy draws. Look for things that make the deer travel a certain route or make it easier walking and set up a stand downwind.

Edit: an aerial or satellite photo can be tremendously valuable here. So will a topographical map.

The other advice: get to your stand an hour before legal shooting time in the mornings, be as quiet as possible, and pay attention to the wind direction. Give some thought to a stand that you can find in the dark, using the flashlight as little as possible. That's often unavoidable, but don't be flashing that light all over the place. Keep it pointed down and off as much as you can. Use the same principles in the afternoon. Get in early and hunt till dark. Don't be tempted to use that last fifteen minutes of sunlight to make it back to your vehicle. That's prime time. My rule is hunt till legal shooting hours are over, I can't tell the deer's legal, or I can't shoot safely.

Pay serious attention to what your friend says and others on this board. There are some real hunters here who know their stuff.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.