Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Food Plots...

Old 01-20-2003, 05:35 AM
Fork Horn

Default Food Plots...

I am looking for some information on planning and planting a few food plots this year. I live and hunt in Southern Maryland, and farming and growing things is going to be totally new to me. But I did not want to waste any time, so I am starting my research early. Any tips and tricks of the trade would be great... Also what grows best in the woods so to speak, I am going to be clearing a few "new" fields. I can get lime or whatever else to get the PH level up, but I want something that I can plant in the spring and last until late summer, and then something can be planted to last the Deer season... I have access to some farm equipment (i.e. Tiller, 4-wheeler, ect.)

Thanks in advance...
Old 01-20-2003, 08:40 AM

Default RE: Food Plots...

Heavyhitter,One plant that deer and small game go for is buckwheat.You plant it in spring and it lasts most of the summer.It's also a good smother crop.Lespedeza(Korean and Kobe) are excellent for deer as well.Personally,I wouldn't disc up the lespedeza.However,Once you disc up the buckwheat,try winter wheat,oats,chickory,or turnips.Orchard grass is moderately shade tolerant and will grow in the woods,but it's only a marginal food plant.Actually,you can improve forest habitat with your chainsaw.Cut down your maple trees.This will allow sunlight to hit the forest floor and help regenrate oaks,which is a #1 foodsource for deer.Also the maple stumps will sucker and deer have tons of new browse.While you're at it,pile your maple limbs up into brushpiles for the rabbits.