Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

make me feel better

Old 11-03-2007, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: make me feel better

I shot a doe last year and hit it a little far back and jumped her 45 minutes later she wasn't bleeding much so I lost her about 30 yards later. It happens just learn from your mistakes.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:44 AM

My first year i shot a small doe with my shotgun and never found it ...we looked for hours ...the blood trail just seemed to stop in the middle of the woods.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:55 AM

Everybody here is right it does happen!! Opening day of bow season last yearI shot over two nice bucks in a matter of 20 mins. But I learned from my mistakes and focused on taking my time and I got one of em 2 weeks later. This year a doe and my best buck yet all came by taking my time and being comfortable with the shot. Ive shot 32 deer in my 8 years of hunting and lost 2, Ive never felt worse in my life!!!! Learn from you mistakes or otherwise your just wasting time...
Old 11-06-2007, 09:18 AM

I have had 2 occasions where I made horrible shots on deer. First time I chaulk up to inexperience, It was my first year hunting deer, I was excited when a doe came out in the field on the first evening (remember this is the first day I ever hunted deer) I was hunting with a 30-30 3X scope. I figured about 150 - 175 yrds away so I up and fired. She spun in circles a few times before leaving the field.....wasn't too sure what to think about that,,,,,went down and started looking around.......no blood around at all. Father showed up and we started seeing a drop or 2 of blood then we found her bottom jaw laying on the ground right where she entered the woods.........we searched and searched....no luck.....GOOD ENDING....another hunter shot her the next morning....I felt horrible that night and still do but glad that she didn't starve to death due to me shooting her jaw off.
2nd time was me shooting at a deer that was out of range for the gun I was using....I shot and didn't realize that the doe was as far as it was..(300 savage). hit her low and we looked all day.....blood trail just stopped.....that was wk 1 of the season.......I ended up seeing her later in the season with a bad limp........so I shot her.

I got very lucky 2 wounded deer and both ended up being killed in the long run.....could have ended much worse........since then I have never missed a deer and have not had to search more than 50yrds for them..........KNOCK ON WOOD
Old 11-06-2007, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I also have had a deer that I never found. I was shooting a .270 and the deer was about 130 yards away. I shot him and he just stood there, so I shot again and he just stood there, so I shot again. He took off running and ran out of sight in some woods. My dad and I walked up to where he had been standing and found two huge patches of blood on the ground. I had hit him twice out of the three shots and there was a huge blood trail where he had run off. We started following the blood trail right away because it was a snowing with a pretty good wind and we knew that the blood trail would disappear before long. Well, we got to the woods and got out of the wind and the blood trail just started petering out and finally just quit. I bet we looked in that woods for over 2 hours before we finally had to give up. We never did find that deer.I have no idea whay he didn't die, but he didn't. It happens to everyone now and then.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:40 AM

Once is an accident, twice is the beginning of a pattern. I think more practice is in order, pard.

And yeah it happens to all of us, me included. Just try your best to minimize the mistakes.