Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

To shoot or not?

Old 11-01-2007, 05:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default To shoot or not?

Already been seeing alot of the "do you think he's big enough" questions

I feel if a hunter goes "WOW" at a deer in his area then Ya it's big enough

As for a hunter that go on GUIDED hunts ask your guide to show you picture of body sizes and racks of the deer that are "takers".

I know that I will be seeing hunters this year pay good money for guided hunt and shoot an average buck for our area. All due to the fact that where they hunt that would be a "HuGE" buck.

Cause we all know that maybe a PA buck thats a taker make be a turn it down in KS or alberta

AL

Edited for comment.
I guess I didn't convey my intended idea in the post.

That being Diffrent areas have diffrent size bucks. And people paying good money for guided hunts should get there monies worth. By the guide showing what is and average deer and what is a huge deer for the area. Some outfitters in alberta have started a fine system (agreed by hunter and outfitter prior to booking the hunt)where they will have to pay a fine for taking a deer below a certian size.

YES! each buck taken is a trophy no matter what the size and I enjoy seeing the smiles on each hunters face. Take a kid hunting and make him smile.......now thats special

Al
Old 11-01-2007, 06:34 PM

Default RE: To shoot or not?

or Illinois! hehe
Old 11-02-2007, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

To each there own......
I don;t care who kills what size or by what method and style...
I'm happy just seeing people gret meat in the deep freeze.......
I've got my own standards, if those animals meet the criteria
in which I'm looking for I will attempt to kill them......
Old 11-02-2007, 06:52 AM
Dominant Buck

I have never been a Head Hunter....If an outstanding rack were to appear in my sights, I would accept it as a gift and not as a must! In FL it must be 5 inches above the head and it would be legal to harvast. If you don't take itas meat, the next guy behind you will.

This is hunting on 55,000 acres and above to 600,000 acres.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:15 AM

If its a deer older than 1 year old it down...end of story. I am a meat hunter and would like to kill 3 or 4 for my family of 6. if I get presented with a nice "shooter buck" I will be very happy to get him, if I get presented with a nice "shooter" doe I am just as happy.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Atta boy! Its a harvest, not a contest.
ORIGINAL: deerdad4

If its a deer older than 1 year old it down...end of story. I am a meat hunter and would like to kill 3 or 4 for my family of 6. if I get presented with a nice "shooter buck" I will be very happy to get him, if I get presented with a nice "shooter" doe I am just as happy.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:18 AM
Fork Horn

If you want to take a deer, and it's legal, then you should take it. Hunting is a personal experience and YOUR OWN goals should steer your decision making process.

My camp wants up to only take deer 3 1/2 years and older, and that's fine with me. I have no problem with a person taking a small buck, if he truly wants to, though.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:58 AM
Typical Buck

as long as its ethical and legal I will support anyone on whatever they choose to kill. Everyone has different views and criteria I am personally a head hunter that will enjoy the meat as a bonus I do not waste it but I wont shoot unless it is a big buck. That makes me no better or no worse than someone that shoots 10 does as long as its legal. We are one the same side we dont need to judge our fellow hunters