Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Best Deer Decoys

Old 10-24-2007, 07:28 AM

Default Best Deer Decoys

I'm considering purchasing a deer decoy this year so I need some input on which brand/name to buy or is it a waste of money? Thanks.........
Old 10-24-2007, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best Deer Decoys

I have the Flambeau Doe decoy that is standing up,you can buy the antler kit and make it into a 8-Point Buck and you can also take the legs off and have a bedded Deer!It looks realistic and is easy to assemble and dis-assemble.It is a little noisy because it is made of hard plastic,but if you put some camo material inside it when your packing it it is quieter.They also make a Flambeau Doe decoy that has its head down like it is feeding (which is better because it is more believable and doesn't scare the other live deer as easy as one that is still and looking straight on).

As with all Decoy's be very care hauling them or setting them up so no one shoots at it.When ever I take my decoy to the field the legs and head are inside the storage area in the body,then I wrap it with camo material,when I'm ready to take mine down I cover it with a large camo cover and take it apart by my stand near the tree's.Some times I just carry it over to my stand and cover it better with the camo material and stuff the legs inside the body cavity and leave the head on it.

Be sure to follow any rules in your State pertaining to using Decoys,and always be careful when using them.Here are a few helpful hints I use or have read about when using a Decoy.

When you set a Doe decoy up it helps if you can put a small white handkerchief on the back end to look like a moving tail.

If you use a Buck decoy the bigger the antlers the more the smaller Bucks will stay away from it.

Always keep your Decoy as scent-free as possible.

When using scents on your Decoy put the scent close to the decoy but not on it.

Face Buck Decoys towards you so any Buck approaching it will walk towards the front of the decoy and not the back of it and be able to look up and see you.

Face Doe decoys to the side or away from you because a Buck will approach it from the back facing away from you.

Decoys don't always work all the time so don't get discouraged,and don't believe everything you see on TV.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:49 PM
Fork Horn

Live decoys. Let does walk now and the bucks are not far behind.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:20 PM

HAD GOOD LUCK LAST YEAR WITH RENZO'S FEEDING DOE.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:21 PM
Fork Horn

I had the Flambeau Grazing doe decoy. Had bad results with it. The deer always new something wasent right with the decoys head always down. @ least with the fixed postion/head forward decoys it looks more real to the deer and they assume they maybe see something or are staring them down. Also on my flmabeau the paint started flaking away with only half a seasons use.

I have had deer come into my Mackenzie deer target when I used it for a decoy. My friend has the Carry lite and its a great decoy.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:45 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: ihunt1975

HAD GOOD LUCK LAST YEAR WITH RENZO'S FEEDING DOE.
Ditto, I have taken three deer this year already with the help of my Renzo feeding doe decoy. Easy to carry in and out of the woods too.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:02 AM
Spike

i have the renzo buck decoy- has anyone used this?
are you bow hunting using the renzo doe decoy?

any pointers on using the renzo buck?

i'm yet to use a decoy- but own one, iwould appreciate your input