Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Where to Sit , New hunting Land. >

Where to Sit , New hunting Land.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Where to Sit , New hunting Land.

Old 10-23-2007, 07:26 PM

Default Where to Sit , New hunting Land.

I finally got permission to hunt on the land behind my house . 175 acres of fields and some woods. I can prettymuch look at the field and know where they usually would be, but the farmer that leased the bordering field changed things this year. usually the field next to the one's i can hunt is hay , but this year there is corn there and it's still standing , so i think alot of the deer arehiding in there , it's a big corn field too, i would bet it's at least 700 yards long and 300 wide.

in this picture i am posting of the land , the red dot is where i put my ground blind in the woods , the blue dots are the rub markings in the woods , and the white dots are where i have seen the deer in the fields this year. There are trails everywhere in the woods , and this land hasn't been hunted in 15 + years.

The only thing i don't like about being in the woods is it's thick and i would only get about a 30 yard shot at most.

Would moving it to the field next to the standing corn field be better ? Thanks - Art

http://img2.putfile.com/main/10/29521304670.jpg

the green outline is where i can hunt.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:28 PM

Default RE: Where to Sit , New hunting Land.

i want to try and catch a big buck going to and from the corn , and i figured with the rut comming on here in a week or so, that if i was in the field it would be dark before the big one would come out. i thought i might have a better chance seeing him in the woods , what do ya think ?
Old 10-24-2007, 07:11 AM
Fork Horn

First of all, congrats on the land. I shouldn't need to tell you this but take care of the land owner, and then thank him/her again....and again.

For starters, you'll need to find a way in where you won't be blowing your cover and pushing the deer off. That'll involve getting in and setting up with the wind in your favor.Looking at the pictures you have some real promising areas, especially in the open field edge where the woods meets the standing corn. I would try an area either southwest of where your blind is on that wooded edge near the corn, or try to intersect the big boy between rubs and scrapes a little to your west of the blind. I think ideally going out west towards that finger of wooded area would be key, but then your scent will be pushed downwind to them if they're staging in the same areas you show them at now. Find out where they're bedding and go from there. I think the dominant buck will be chasing estrus does all over that field in time.

Good luck.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:40 PM

what is pre-rut like for a buck , does he stay with his scrapes and rubs ?

and during the rut , if you know where the does are , that is where a buck will be right ?
Old 10-25-2007, 07:27 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: thinktwicez71

what is pre-rut like for a buck , does he stay with his scrapes and rubs ?

and during the rut , if you know where the does are , that is where a buck will be right ?
Big time. He's waiting for something to happen and will usually checkthem feverishly. Once the rut starts, they'll usually lay off of scrapes cuz they're too busy chasing does to care.

Once the rut is hard on...no pun intended, hunt where the does are (or likely will be). This is probably the best time of year to bag a big boy, because he won't leave a harem full ofin-heatdoes. Like I said, I'd bet he'll be chasing does on the inside edge of that field straight out from your blind.
Just don't spook 'em out of there.
I'd hunt stands between bedding and feeding for now in hopes of pinching him in between. Don't dirty up your money spot yet.
Good luck.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I say put your stand in between the edge with the cornfield and the finger of woods that sticks out. The deer will like being covered on three sides. I pass a field like that all the time and I am amazed at how the deer like it. A big buck will be close to the does in the rut so keep an eye out for does and he will soon be there.