Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 In the event of a treestand fall? >

In the event of a treestand fall?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

In the event of a treestand fall?

Old 10-19-2007, 09:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default In the event of a treestand fall?

I wear a full body harness when I hunt from an elevated stand. When using one of my fixed stands I feel like I couldwork my way back into the stand or down the tree by getting back to my steps.

My question is how or what you would do in the event of a fall from a climbing stand? How would you get back down the tree if the stand completely failed? I have a few ideas of my own but I would like to see what plans others have in mind.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:14 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: In the event of a treestand fall?

Hug and ride!!! Talk about barkburn!!![:'(]
Old 10-19-2007, 10:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

My climber bottom is attached by a rope to the top...I'm attached to the tree, we all go up together, there is a rail that it around me, not much chance of us getting seperated...If we do, I reach in my pocket, where my cell phone is...

If the bottom breaks and falls to the base of the tree, I can sit in the top...

It the top breaks, I can stand on the bottom...
Old 10-19-2007, 10:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: nchawkeye

My climber bottom is attached by a rope to the top...I'm attached to the tree, we all go up together, there is a rail that it around me, not much chance of us getting seperated...If we do, I reach in my pocket, where my cell phone is...

If the bottom breaks and falls to the base of the tree, I can sit in the top...

It the top breaks, I can stand on the bottom...

I do the same thing with attaching the top and bottom and carry a cell phone(even though I may not get a signal in some places). I also sometimes carry a couple scew in tree stepsin the unlikely event that somehow I fall out of the stand. I could then use the steps to climb back in the stand or to work my way back down the tree. Of course if the safety rope is adjusted right it should keep you from falling out of the stand. I may give this a try from Summit. Has anyone tried this?

http://www.summitstands.com/productdetail.aspx?id=329145
Old 10-20-2007, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: In the event of a tree stand fall?

if the stand fails and is useless ,completely falls to the ground, or you can't get back in . it is helpful to have a rope or strap with you tomake a loop for your foot and then around the tree . That way you can take the pressure off the harness strap to slid it down a little then the rope for your foot . Just keep repeating till you are down safe . I hope this makes sense . I don't want to ride the tree or cut my strap on the harness. Having a cell with you is a good idea but you will be hanging there a while . It is better to be self sufficient to get down
Old 10-20-2007, 07:38 AM

This is a scary thought, because my dad fell out of a treestand one year in rifle season in Pennsylvania. He was hunting alone and fell 16 feet onto his rifle and a can of soda in his pocket and broke all his ribs on one side.

My dad then had to walk 1/4 of a mile back to the camp. Took a bath in the bath tub. Drove himself home, had a punctured lung from either taking a bath or tying his shoes.

Spent two weeks in the hospital the first time. Put his shoes on again to go home, even if it ment walking 7 miles to get there. He refused to stay in the hospital. Punctured his other lung and spent 3 more weeks in intensive care.

Missed 6 months of work.

Your best bet is to only climb as high as you need to be to get above what ever you want to be able to see over. Any person foolish enough to climb 60 feet into a tree, just to have a better seat, needs to get a different hobby.
Because my life is worth more than a set of antlers on the wall or winning a couple of hundred dollars in a buck pool.

Personally, I do not think that you have to be more than 12 feet up in any tree to get a deer.

Now that is just my opinion, and I will wish you all a very safe and happy hunting season.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rhody Hunter

if the stand fails and is useless ,completely falls to the ground, or you can't get back in . it is helpful to have a rope or strap with you tomake a loop for your foot and then around the tree . That way you can take the pressure off the harness strap to slid it down a little then the rope for your foot . Just keep repeating till you are down safe . I hope this makes sense . I don't want to ride the tree or cut my strap on the harness. Having a cell with you is a good idea but you will be hanging there a while . It is better to be self sufficient to get down
That is exactly what the Tree Decender from Summit is made to do and is actually what I would attempt to do with my tree steps. I think I may purchase the Tree Descender as it will be easier and quieter to carry than the steps.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: The Rifleman

This is a scary thought, because my dad fell out of a treestand one year in rifle season in Pennsylvania. He was hunting alone and fell 16 feet onto his rifle and a can of soda in his pocket and broke all his ribs on one side.

My dad then had to walk 1/4 of a mile back to the camp. Took a bath in the bath tub. Drove himself home, had a punctured lung from either taking a bath or tying his shoes.

Spent two weeks in the hospital the first time. Put his shoes on again to go home, even if it ment walking 7 miles to get there. He refused to stay in the hospital. Punctured his other lung and spent 3 more weeks in intensive care.

Missed 6 months of work.

Your best bet is to only climb as high as you need to be to get above what ever you want to be able to see over. Any person foolish enough to climb 60 feet into a tree, just to have a better seat, needs to get a different hobby.
Because my life is worth more than a set of antlers on the wall or winning a couple of hundred dollars in a buck pool.

Personally, I do not think that you have to be more than 12 feet up in any tree to get a deer.

Now that is just my opinion, and I will wish you all a very safe and happy hunting season.

I hope your dad is doing ok now. What happened that caused him to fall? I agree with your statement to only climb high enough for your surroundings. Personally I feel safer in my climber than I do in mychain on stands. For that reason I hangmy chain on stands in places that I can hunt15 feet or so off the ground.For areas that I need to go higher, I use the climber.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:10 AM
Typical Buck

I have a Hunter Safty Sytem vest. I carry 2 screw in step in one of the pockets. I would take some time, but I could inch my way down using the steps, I think, cause I have never had to do it but that is my plan. I also carry a cell phone and someone always knows where I am hunting.

Dink....the other white meat
Old 10-20-2007, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: honcho12

I have a Hunter Safty Sytem vest. I carry 2 screw in step in one of the pockets. I would take some time, but I could inch my way down using the steps, I think, cause I have never had to do it but that is my plan. I also carry a cell phone and someone always knows where I am hunting.

Dink....the other white meat

Sounds like you and I have similar plans! Plans that I hope neither of us is forced to use. My only concern(cause I've never tried it either), is being able to getthat first step low enough so you could get a foot onto it while hanging from the tree.

Quick Reply: In the event of a treestand fall?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.