HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - In the event of a treestand fall?
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2007, 07:38 AM
The Rifleman

Default RE: In the event of a tree stand fall?

This is a scary thought, because my dad fell out of a treestand one year in rifle season in Pennsylvania. He was hunting alone and fell 16 feet onto his rifle and a can of soda in his pocket and broke all his ribs on one side.

My dad then had to walk 1/4 of a mile back to the camp. Took a bath in the bath tub. Drove himself home, had a punctured lung from either taking a bath or tying his shoes.

Spent two weeks in the hospital the first time. Put his shoes on again to go home, even if it ment walking 7 miles to get there. He refused to stay in the hospital. Punctured his other lung and spent 3 more weeks in intensive care.

Missed 6 months of work.

Your best bet is to only climb as high as you need to be to get above what ever you want to be able to see over. Any person foolish enough to climb 60 feet into a tree, just to have a better seat, needs to get a different hobby.
Because my life is worth more than a set of antlers on the wall or winning a couple of hundred dollars in a buck pool.

Personally, I do not think that you have to be more than 12 feet up in any tree to get a deer.

Now that is just my opinion, and I will wish you all a very safe and happy hunting season.