Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shooting Fawns?

Old 10-29-2007, 07:43 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Shooting Fawns?

Most reponsible hunters will take the appropiate shot. A doe with a fawn behind is not it. I have yet to see a fawn tag and am opposed to taking them. If you feel this is the best way to manage the herd and removing fawns ( spotted young ) is necesary in your area, then by all means shoot away. It simply is not in mine. We are stewards, we have a responsibilty to maintain our resources. I have seen the argument about car kills, wolve kills and starvation. None hold water where I am from. Take only legaly sanctioned bucks and does and leave the rest to grow.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:56 PM

The big doe I shot Thursday was still lactating, but the doe with her was big enough to be considered grown. If I had seen the smaller doe alone, I wouldn't have guessed her to still be nursing.

In Louisiana it is illegal to shoot a spotted fawn, but if it's legal where you are, it's your tag to fill.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just a personal thing, actually the wayI was brought up. I do not shoot fawns nor do I shoot does with fawns. I have no quams with others doing so though.

As far as quality of meat, the best deer on average for me has been dry does. Though I must admit I have ate some very tasty mature bucks as well. The worst wt was actually a yearling doe I shot a number of years ago in early bow season.

I never read all the post so i am sure this has been adressed already but fawns are suppose to have the set skills or ability to survive alone once their spots have turned.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:54 AM

ORIGINAL: jlsherr

Most reponsible hunters will take the appropiate shot. A doe with a fawn behind is not it. I have yet to see a fawn tag and am opposed to taking them. If you feel this is the best way to manage the herd and removing fawns ( spotted young ) is necesary in your area, then by all means shoot away. It simply is not in mine. We are stewards, we have a responsibilty to maintain our resources. I have seen the argument about car kills, wolve kills and starvation. None hold water where I am from. Take only legaly sanctioned bucks and does and leave the rest to grow.
I’m not sure how people are relating 7 month old fawns as “spotted fawns”. I don’t know if there is a deer season that is active April, May, June? But by the time Michigan’s deer season starts, there are no “spotted fawns”. If you did see a spotted fawn in Michigan in October or later, you can bet you are looking at a deer that will be killed by the Michigan winter.

I’m not sure how I would react to a “spotted fawn” if I saw it in November? The logical thing would be to take it, but there is definitely an emotional cringe factor to doing so.

And just an update: I had a large doe with 2 fawns (button, and doe) with her under my stand Monday. 20 yard shot on the large doe and button buck were available, but I wanted fawn doe! She never gave me a clean shot… so I still don’t have my fawn meat.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:08 PM

I have no qualms about shooting a fawn, but I would never pass up a doe to shoot the fawn. The only times I'll shoota fawn is if it comes through alone, or in a rifle hunting situation where I can't really tell how big the deer is, or ina rifle huntingsituation involving running deerand I didn't have time to be selective.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:21 AM

ORIGINAL: waiting_for_a_gift

I have no qualms about shooting a fawn, but I would never pass up a doe to shoot the fawn. The only times I'll shoota fawn is if it comes through alone, or in a rifle hunting situation where I can't really tell how big the deer is, or ina rifle huntingsituation involving running deerand I didn't have time to be selective.
The problem with shooting a fawn that is by itself is that it is usually male fawns that travel alone.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not even an issue here in Texas. It is unheard of. If the only way you can " fill your freezer " is to kill fawns then go to the grocery store. This is not 1880 where we hunt to survive. This is 2007 were we hunt for sport. Yes, we enjoy venison, but harvesting subadult deer is detromental to the herd and lends into the hands of PETA. If you can afford a rifle/Bow and the legally required permits then I am sure you are not hunting for survival sustinance. Do not mean to upset or offend just stating what I belive and was raised on.
I wouldn't shoot a fawn with spots, but speak for yourself on the "This is not 1880 where we hunt to survive. This is 2007 where we hunt for sport".
I beg to differ. I am disabled with disk disease, nerve damage, and possible MS. I have been fighting for Disabilty Social Security for over 3 years. I am not eligible for food stamps because of a pot conviction I got when I was an ignorant teenager 20 years ago. If it was not for hunting, I honestly believe I wouldn't survive. The main source of meat I have in my freezer and I eat almost everyday comes from the deer, squirrels, rabbits, etc. , that I harvest during the winter months. I have been so hungry I have eaten raccoon and possum. I think you are more than a little bit "off base" with your "witty" assumptions!! I am lucky I can still crawl into the woods. You might be surprized what you would do if you where in that position.

chris
Old 11-06-2007, 06:31 AM
Kid
Typical Buck

WHACK 'EM AND STACK 'EM!
Old 11-06-2007, 08:43 AM
Fork Horn

fawn meat tastes much better hands down. JMO.... I would rather shoot a young one to a large doe any day just for meat... but typically, I buck hunt.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry to bust your balls like this. But where I live a deer of any age is legal. Not everyone lives in Texas. It sounds like you may need to get out they house and go do some hunting or something. JMO

chris