Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Shooting a doe with fawns to early? >

Shooting a doe with fawns to early?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shooting a doe with fawns to early?

Old 07-19-2007, 07:41 PM

Default Shooting a doe with fawns to early?

Seeing the beforeor after the rut poll got me thinking. I hunt in south eastern South Dakota. I was just curious if shooting a mature doe that has fawns, early in the season has a impact on the survival of those fawns. I couple years back I shot a doe the first week in Oct. that had a fawn with her, at the time I didnt think anything of it until I picked up the trail 45 mins. later. She only went about 50 yards, but the fawn was standing by her. I didnt feel real good about that at the time and I guess since then I elected to let the does walk until they are all by themselves. I just want to know what you think about this and if letting the fawns with mom for awhile helps there survival rate.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Shooting a doe with fawns to early?

I think the fawns will be fine. They have already learned what to eat and they will survive.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:48 PM

I believe it does. I think the longer they are with them the more they learn and will survive. Last year a doe was killed on the highway in front of our house and we watch the fawn for days wondering around. It didn't seem to know what to do or where to go. It too ended up died on the highway because it didn't know to leave and hide. I think the longer it stays with the doe the best for it. If I shoot a doe I alway watch to make sure it's a dry doe.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

If they're weened, they will be fine.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

They start the season at that time for a reason. The fawns will be fine. Might miss mama for a while, but they will get over it.

How do you know a doe is dry when she is walking by you?

Old 07-19-2007, 09:15 PM
Banned

Shoot the fawns and the doe, and boom theres no problem.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:28 PM
Dominant Buck

You should feel bad for shoot that doe. I would have dropped the fawn because it's less hassle on the drag and better eating. Of course if you drop momma right in her tracks, you can shoot bambi to but that takes practice.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:31 PM
Banned

Hey fieldmouse, i agree with you 100%.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Im not sure on that one. I did shoot a doe with two fawns years ago, hunted the same stand for the next three days looking for a buck, and the fawns were showing up constantly in those three days. I try and shoot the loners to anymore.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:49 PM

omg im not tree hugger but that would make me sick seeing a fawn standing over its dead mother haveing no clue what happened.

Quick Reply: Shooting a doe with fawns to early?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.