Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Dead Deer carcass ruining hunt???? >

Dead Deer carcass ruining hunt????

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Dead Deer carcass ruining hunt????

Old 10-16-2007, 02:12 PM
Fork Horn

Default Dead Deer carcass ruining hunt????

I have a dead deer carcass about 50 yards from my stand and was wondering will other deer avoid the area because of the dead deer. Just so you know the deer has its head cut off and it is a buck.

Could it help since the tarsal gland is still there or will it scare the deer away?
Old 10-16-2007, 03:28 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Dead Deer carcass ruining hunt????

I've heard that for people not wanting deer on their property to throw rotten meat out. I've heard that they associate rotten meat with predators and will stay out of the area. That being said I've seen deer go directly to a gut pile from a deer I killed earlier and have witnessedthem sniff the hell out of it. So beats me. I know that isn't a definitive answer but that is what I've seen and heard.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

like louddrummer said, i have heard that they will be wary of it because of preditors, but i have personally seen deer come around gut piles, and other dead carcuses. they might take a different route though, i had a gutpile behind my stand once and a buck came circling around to my left (hunted there for 3 years, seen 24 deer and all have come from the right) he was smelling and just kept circling, didnt make any sense, he shoulda smelt me, but guess he was to locked in on the gut pile smell, never will if he was going to go up to the gut pile or not cause now he is on my wall!!!
Old 10-16-2007, 07:27 PM

I throw all of my gut piles about 80 yards from my stand. It has never stopped them from comming in before. Also, have seen deer smell and follow the blood trails that have been left by deer that i had shot the day before. Think about it...deer die in the woods all the time. Deer are use to seeing other deer dead. It happens...don't worry about it.