Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Getting ridiculous

Old 10-16-2007, 08:16 AM

Default Getting ridiculous

So I call about 210 acres in Adams Co Ohio. The guy says he wants $8,000 for 9 months. What is going on with this? Also does anyone have any openings on a lease, I know it's late but I lost my permission last year after the landowner sold. I tried the state land thing and it's for the birds.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Getting ridiculous

Looks like someone is in trouble.Start looking in areas away from big cities. Eight grand for 9 months sounds like a guy who thinks his land is GOLD or he has had some people with deep pockets paying way too much for way too long. Keep looking and you'll find something. Good luck.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

You could also try a tried and proven method of getting permission. Go to a small town cafe around breakfast time and sit with the locals. Converse a little and bring up the point that you are out scouting for some place to get a deer. Most times you'll have a farmer offer to let you hunt for free.

Second way is drive up to a farmers door and say "Got any deer need killin?" First time a buddy of mine did that with me around I thought we were going to get shot, but the farmer looked at him and said "They're bedding down North of here in the creek bottom, kill them all." He has done it several times since then when I was hunting with him and we've only been turned down once.

Old 10-24-2007, 11:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

Damn that does sound pricy. But then again, if 4 people went together on it, having it 9 months for all types of hunting would be nice.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:08 PM

$8,000 for 9 months of hunting on 210 acres? [:@] No way in H-E-DOUBLE HOCKY STICKS! I know that Ohio has great whitetails, but no way!
Old 10-24-2007, 01:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

I just checked out the basecamp hunting lease site. For a thousand bucks more you can get twice the acreage in Indiana (406 acres for $9000). Or in Ohio you can get 157 acres for $3200 or 80 acres for $2000. Dunno if those are 9 month leases though. Either way, it sounds like someone has delusions of grandeur in terms of what their hunting ground is worth.

8K would cover a 25-30 percent downpayment on about 30 acres of woods in parts of southern Ohio.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like someone likes deer hunting alot! I guess Im just blessed with alot of public land here in WI. The thought of spending money to hunt deer sounds rediculous.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:09 PM
Fork Horn

That is expensive. My 3500 acre lease here in West Virginia is just under $8000.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:45 PM
Typical Buck

MAN, I read what some people pay and that just makes me see more how blessed i am. My family has a farm in millican 600 acres. With several herds and 3 or 4 good bucks in diff. areas. One being a buck that got loose from a breedoing facility.The guy who is leasing this properties for cows(moo cows, not like hunting) has become a buddy and one day we asked if he knew of any place. He has 100 acres; deer heaven in Madisonville. Me and my dad each killed a 7 and an 8 respectfully, both close to 130. THEN, the company my dad works for, one of the owners has a ranch in Bracketville. 3000 acres with barbado,whitetail,axis,blackbuck,and all the hogs u could want.
All of this; 3700 acres: $0
Old 10-24-2007, 10:19 PM

I'll let you in on a little secret.

Pennsylvania has over 1 MILLION acres of land - they call Game Lands - that you can hunt on for the price of a out of state license. $120 I think!

I could post pictures of the deer my brothers and dad and Uncles and cousins and I shot on Public land, But I wouldn't want to see a grown man cry.

Private land is nice - if you can afford it. But for $2000 a year, you can go hunting with me anytime you want and I will even supply the gas and the Avalanche to go in.

Quick Reply: Getting ridiculous

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.