Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 New to hunting...Tree stands are really necessary? >

New to hunting...Tree stands are really necessary?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New to hunting...Tree stands are really necessary?

Old 10-12-2007, 03:12 PM

Default New to hunting...Tree stands are really necessary?

This is going to be my first time hunting. I've been preparing for it for a while but I want to know, do I really need a tree stand?
Old 10-12-2007, 03:30 PM

Default RE: New to hunting...Tree stands are really necessary?

you dont have to have one but i do suggest getting one
Old 10-12-2007, 03:31 PM
Typical Buck

No. You dont need one you can make ground blinds or stalk. Hunting on the ground can be just as successful. It can also make your hunting a lot harder. You need to learn how to play the wind.But treestands are a great piece of equipment. You can hunt high and play the wind much easier. I would reccommend one especially where you are new. But you cant just put your treestand anywhere you still have to locate bedding or feeding areas trails etc. Get some books and start reading up on hunting. There is all kinds of great info out there and too much to put it all on here.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:58 PM

Thank's StillHunter90. I know there is a lot to learn, I've been reading and watching Versus & Outdoor Channel . Ihope tobe lucky and a deer decide to cross in font of me.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most definatley dont need a tree stand but they are very helpful! my grandpa has arthritis in his wrists and hands, so climbing up into a tree stand for him is out of the question! he has hunted on the ground for the last 6 years, and killed 11 GREAT DEER on the ground! if you are going to hunt on the ground i sugest getting a pop up tent! go to dicks sporting goods or cabelas, they have them from anywhere between 60-125 dollors! cheaper than any tree stand! http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2468683&cp=2367824.2292572 .2292683&parentPage=family&searchId=229257 2that link is the one my grandpa has and he loves it! but like still hunter said, it is much easier to hunt from above, there is less to worry about! its great that you are watching the outdoor channel and versus, to pick up on tips, but you dont really see anything about scouting, and setup tips from those shows! I suggest for helping with scouting, stand setup tips, and general deer info that will help you, go with a educational dvd, and some good books!

good luck!
Old 10-12-2007, 04:34 PM

All the info here are great, I am new also on the hunting and I have these an more questions, so I will keep reading.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nope. Millions of deer have been taken from the ground. Tree stands are not for everyone and there are plenty who should not be in one. If you decide to use one practise with it many times long before using one. Hunting often takes place in the dark. You need to bevery familiar with the stand and the process so that in the dark you know what can happen if you don't follow through. The goal is to get in there silently and safetly as possible. It's not as easy as it sounds. Much easier from the ground to accomplish that.

I don't recall ever reading where native americans ever hunted from tress.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:22 PM

It's a matter of preference. I personally do not use a treestand. I like to walk & stalk and find a good place to sit where I might see something. When I first started hunting, my husband would spot me or try to explain to me where I should sit, while he went through the bush trying to send an animal my way. That worked most times though sometimes it wasn't the right game. Good luck in your new adventures.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:57 PM

luckysusie, it's going to be the 1st time for my husband, and he is really ecxited about it, I don't think he will send me a deer on my way, I'm sure he will shoot first...
Old 10-12-2007, 07:12 PM
Typical Buck

i just use a folding stool with a fork stick to shoot off of when im deer hunting. We got a couple stands last spring for bear hunting, so i might try one this year for deer.

Quick Reply: New to hunting...Tree stands are really necessary?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.