Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 New to hunting...Tree stands are really necessary? >

New to hunting...Tree stands are really necessary?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New to hunting...Tree stands are really necessary?

Old 10-12-2007, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New to hunting...Tree stands are really necessary?

They are not required but do make some aspects easier. and depending on the type of treestand you are wanting they can be even more affordable than most realize. A simple hang on stand like Rivers Edge can be picked up for as little as 60 bucks some times. But like they said hunting from the ground can be just as prductive as long as precautions are taken to watch the wind and scent control and movement.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

You didn't say if you are bow or gun hunting. If bow hunting it's alot better to use a tree stand but it's not nesicary. If hunting with a gun its not as important. I usually hunt from a stand when bow hunting and more often than not i will hunt from the ground with a gun.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:40 PM

I'll be hunting with a Mossberg ATR-100 .270 win....by the way, what is good to reduce the recoil? I really don't like the kick! (my husband says that it's "just a little kick", ha ha! yeah right...not for me!)
Old 10-12-2007, 09:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

As most have already said, its not a must but in some instances it is very nice. I like to gun hunt (I only usea ML) from the ground. But bow hunting is a lot easier from a tree. Climbing stands are the way to go but are more expensive to buy. The advantage is that you can just climb any tree you want and don't have to prepare by hauling everything in ahead of time. Plus if the wind is wrong you just climb down and climb up another tree. Everyone has their preferences but those are my $0.02
Old 10-12-2007, 10:23 PM

This is only my third season hunting, and you definitely don't need the treestand. I got one when I first started out. I used it and still use it, but an injury keeps me from sitting in it too long. I wound up hunting from the ground using blinds made from brush and available cover as well as spot and stalk. I took my first one last year from the ground and I have seen more deer hunting from the ground than I have from the stand. I hunted every day this week from the ground and saw animals every day but today. This may have to do with my being able to hunt longer on the ground than in the stand. I also gave up on watching those hunting shows, if you notice they always seem to be hunting on game ranches. I don't have a game ranch. Good luck!
Old 10-12-2007, 11:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

to reduce the recoil i would look into a limb saver recoil pad! they arent all that expensive! my brother has one for his 12 ga. remington, that kicks like a mule when he runs slugs through it! it is all rubber and slides on the butt of the gun! well you have to pull it over the butt of the stock!
Old 10-13-2007, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

To deduce recoil definately look at the limb saver recoil pad.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

You don't really need a tree stand. I now have two set up and there are some advantages. I hunted 15 years without them. But instead of just setting on the ground I either used a 5 gallon bucket with a lid, good to carry a few extra thing with you. Later I made me a "tree seat" tha attaches the the tree with a ractchet strap. These keeps your rear end dry if the ground is wet.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:22 AM

No.Most of my gun deer are from ground blinds.Bow Hunting I like to be in a stand.The buck in my avatar is from a ground blind.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:09 PM
Little Doe Peep

ORIGINAL: LadySyl

I'll be hunting with a Mossberg ATR-100 .270 win....by the way, what is good to reduce the recoil? I really don't like the kick! (my husband says that it's "just a little kick", ha ha! yeah right...not for me!)
We don't use a stand. We stalk them. Partly because my husband is deathly afraid of heights. He gets shakey changing a light bulb in the kitchen ceiling.

The heavier the gun, the less recoil. I'm really little so I use a .50 caliber Hawken style muzzleloader. I can hardly feel it.

Quick Reply: New to hunting...Tree stands are really necessary?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.