HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   New to hunting...Tree stands are really necessary? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/211711-new-hunting-tree-stands-really-necessary.html)

bayou_buckslayer 10-13-2007 03:15 PM

RE: New to hunting...Tree stands are really necessary?

well you dont need to get a new deer stand every month but when you have a good stand dont remove it from the area but when you have a stand thats not so great give it time set up tripods but if that doesnt work try something new move somewhere and work on it well the last thing you need is to move that one you need to have more than 1 stand im meen cmon soooooooo depends

bigtim6656 10-13-2007 03:47 PM

for public land i would say no to a stand not unless you plan to take it down every hunt. This is my first year in a stand and i think it helps alot .
Look at the pop up blinds you can move them if the deer are elsware and if your on public land if someone is in your spot you just have to move simple

ORIGINAL: LadySyl

This is going to be my first time hunting. I've been preparing for it for a while but I want to know, do I really need a tree stand?

Centauri 10-13-2007 06:30 PM

Not nessesary, but they are a HUGE advantage. Your off the ground, where it is often cold and wet,and the deer really can't easily see you. It gives you a very wide field of view, and Ive heard that deer really cant smell you either. Its kinda bad because its pretty dangerous, but thats why they invented harnesses. Depending on what kind of stand you use and where you hunt, it is a drag to get it through the woods, and in some places, tree stands are illegal. On public land, you cant build a permanent one, and you cant use the spikes that serve as ladders to get into the stand. But, my dad got a monster 11 pointer from the ground. They all have their advantages and disadvantages.

bigtim6656 10-14-2007 06:34 AM

good points centauri

and if i understand the laws right a ladder stand is also illegel on public land because they have a hook on the back that sticks in the tree atless mine does.

Centauri 10-14-2007 10:40 AM

Hmm.... My ladder stand doesnt have that. Im not sure, but if you have to screw something in, you have to remove it when you are finished hunting

kingnn93 10-14-2007 06:53 PM

my opinion is that you dont need a stand ... if you have a good spot and many deer trails or seen many deer in that area i think you should be fine ..... im afraid of stands because im afraid of heights and i dont think its necessary o well thats just my opinion
good luck newhoo :)

GTOHunter 10-14-2007 07:34 PM

Do you need a ladder stand..?

If your hunting a largeopen area with good view I would suggest getting a nice ladder stand to raise you up so you can see further and get one that has the fold down front rest so you can steady your gun on it (.270) since it will shoot pretty far with that caliber of gun you can cover a large area.I have about 4 different stands set up on our farm to hunt out of.

#1. I have a 2-man ladder stand for using when I take my Daughters on the Youth hunts.It has the fold down front arm/gun rest and a fold up bench seat if I want to Bow Hunt out of it and have more room.

#2.Hunters View Climbing Stand

#3.Older climbing stand in the bottom field

#4.Hunters View ground Blind set up in the field over looking 2 small soybean fields.

If your hunting on Private Property you can set up a ladder stand and put a chain around it and lock it so no one will steal it.I have used ladder stands for several years and have seen a lot more deer and game because I'm up higher and have a better view.If your in thick cover with little visibilty you would be better off still hunting/stalking or buying you one of those seats that strap to the lower bottom are of a tree to have a comfortable seat to sit and hunt out of.

Recoil:
You could also try shooting the bullets from Remington called "Managed Recoil" they are suppose to have less recoil and shoot close to the same level at 100 yards as regular bullets,you will have to re-sight your gun in with them to see where your groups are.What ever you decide "Good Luck" Hunting,be carefuland have fun!

Brewtopia 10-14-2007 09:39 PM

Greetings all, new member and first post,just wanted to add to this thread,I too am a new hunter and this thread has some great info. Looking forward to meeting and learing from everyone here.

johnnyc531 10-15-2007 12:44 PM

I hunted my entire first year without a tree stand, used ground blinds that we built out of deadfall and branches and the existing cover. I had really once chance during archery season that I could have taken a deer out of my blind, but since we were holding off on 4 pts or less I let the buck and doe that was with it walk. Later that same season just standing amongst a little clump of pines I took my first deer with a 12 gauge.

2nd year I picked up a hang on stand and a climber. I had 3 shots at deer in the first week of archery from a stand (make sure you practice shooting from elevation if you use one. I blew all three shots with my bow. [:@] That same week hunting from a little sugar shack I also missed a shot at a buck with a bow. Come Shotgun season I took the 10pt in my signature with my 12 gauge from my climber stand. The deer was about 15 feet away from the base of my tree when I shot it. I don't think the buck would have approached that close if I was on the ground.

I bought a cheap popup blind this offseason and this last weekend tried it out. I found it very small to try and draw a bow in. I had one doe pass by me out of range, but noticed she was watching me intently the whole time as she trotted by. My mistake I guess was not having the blind setup awhile for the deer to get used to it. I left it out and will probably not use it till shotgun season. I'lll probably be in stands most the rest of bow season. Come shotgun season I'll use my stands some but also do some ground hunting.

There are lots of options out there, do what works for you or you like. Also if you want try hunting from makeshift blinds and stalking for the first year, make sure you enjoy hunting enough before you dump your fortune onto any real fancy equipment. If you do get a stand I suggest a climber, just be carefull with it and no matter what do not climb a tree with it unless both part are teathered together (this could save your life, did for me when I was descending this weekend and base slipped down the tree.) I also like the shooting shooting rail, big platform to stand on and bigger seat with a back on the climber opposed to the rather small hang-on stand I have. Makes me feel much more secure when I'm 20 feet or higher up a tree.

ab_newfie 10-15-2007 01:03 PM

You don't need a stand of any sort, or a blind for that matter, if your not bow hunting!
I have taken plenty animals and have never used one. Just hunt the wind and be as quiet as you can.
Good luck, be safe and have fun!