HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   New to hunting...Tree stands are really necessary? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/211711-new-hunting-tree-stands-really-necessary.html)

LadySyl 10-12-2007 03:12 PM

New to hunting...Tree stands are really necessary?

This is going to be my first time hunting. I've been preparing for it for a while but I want to know, do I really need a tree stand?

mus_stang 10-12-2007 03:30 PM

RE: New to hunting...Tree stands are really necessary?

you dont have to have one but i do suggest getting one

StillHunter90 10-12-2007 03:31 PM

No. You dont need one you can make ground blinds or stalk. Hunting on the ground can be just as successful. It can also make your hunting a lot harder. You need to learn how to play the wind.But treestands are a great piece of equipment. You can hunt high and play the wind much easier. I would reccommend one especially where you are new. But you cant just put your treestand anywhere you still have to locate bedding or feeding areas trails etc. Get some books and start reading up on hunting. There is all kinds of great info out there and too much to put it all on here.

LadySyl 10-12-2007 03:58 PM

Thank's StillHunter90. I know there is a lot to learn, I've been reading and watching Versus & Outdoor Channel :). Ihope tobe lucky and a deer decide to cross in font of me. :):):)

andy da animal 10-12-2007 04:20 PM

Most definatley dont need a tree stand but they are very helpful! my grandpa has arthritis in his wrists and hands, so climbing up into a tree stand for him is out of the question! he has hunted on the ground for the last 6 years, and killed 11 GREAT DEER on the ground! if you are going to hunt on the ground i sugest getting a pop up tent! go to dicks sporting goods or cabelas, they have them from anywhere between 60-125 dollors! cheaper than any tree stand! http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2468683&cp=2367824.2292572 .2292683&parentPage=family&searchId=229257 2that link is the one my grandpa has and he loves it! but like still hunter said, it is much easier to hunt from above, there is less to worry about! its great that you are watching the outdoor channel and versus, to pick up on tips, but you dont really see anything about scouting, and setup tips from those shows! I suggest for helping with scouting, stand setup tips, and general deer info that will help you, go with a educational dvd, and some good books!

good luck!

alesyl 10-12-2007 04:34 PM

All the info here are great, I am new also on the hunting and I have these an more questions, so I will keep reading.

nodog 10-12-2007 04:51 PM

Nope. Millions of deer have been taken from the ground. Tree stands are not for everyone and there are plenty who should not be in one. If you decide to use one practise with it many times long before using one. Hunting often takes place in the dark. You need to bevery familiar with the stand and the process so that in the dark you know what can happen if you don't follow through. The goal is to get in there silently and safetly as possible. It's not as easy as it sounds. Much easier from the ground to accomplish that.

I don't recall ever reading where native americans ever hunted from tress.

luckysusie 10-12-2007 06:22 PM

It's a matter of preference. I personally do not use a treestand. I like to walk & stalk and find a good place to sit where I might see something. When I first started hunting, my husband would spot me or try to explain to me where I should sit, while he went through the bush trying to send an animal my way. That worked most times though sometimes it wasn't the right game. Good luck in your new adventures.

LadySyl 10-12-2007 06:57 PM

luckysusie, it's going to be the 1st time for my husband, and he is really ecxited about it, I don't think he will send me a deer on my way, I'm sure he will shoot first... :)

moosehunter30 10-12-2007 07:12 PM

i just use a folding stool with a fork stick to shoot off of when im deer hunting. We got a couple stands last spring for bear hunting, so i might try one this year for deer.

mohunter82 10-12-2007 07:27 PM

They are not required but do make some aspects easier. and depending on the type of treestand you are wanting they can be even more affordable than most realize. A simple hang on stand like Rivers Edge can be picked up for as little as 60 bucks some times. But like they said hunting from the ground can be just as prductive as long as precautions are taken to watch the wind and scent control and movement.

jim1966 10-12-2007 08:00 PM

You didn't say if you are bow or gun hunting. If bow hunting it's alot better to use a tree stand but it's not nesicary. If hunting with a gun its not as important. I usually hunt from a stand when bow hunting and more often than not i will hunt from the ground with a gun.

LadySyl 10-12-2007 08:40 PM

I'll be hunting with a Mossberg ATR-100 .270 win....by the way, what is good to reduce the recoil? I really don't like the kick! (my husband says that it's "just a little kick", ha ha! yeah right...not for me!)

TNHagies 10-12-2007 09:39 PM

As most have already said, its not a must but in some instances it is very nice. I like to gun hunt (I only usea ML) from the ground. But bow hunting is a lot easier from a tree. Climbing stands are the way to go but are more expensive to buy. The advantage is that you can just climb any tree you want and don't have to prepare by hauling everything in ahead of time. Plus if the wind is wrong you just climb down and climb up another tree. Everyone has their preferences but those are my $0.02

BigTiny 10-12-2007 10:23 PM

This is only my third season hunting, and you definitely don't need the treestand. I got one when I first started out. I used it and still use it, but an injury keeps me from sitting in it too long. I wound up hunting from the ground using blinds made from brush and available cover as well as spot and stalk. I took my first one last year from the ground and I have seen more deer hunting from the ground than I have from the stand. I hunted every day this week from the ground and saw animals every day but today. This may have to do with my being able to hunt longer on the ground than in the stand. I also gave up on watching those hunting shows, if you notice they always seem to be hunting on game ranches. I don't have a game ranch. Good luck!

andy da animal 10-12-2007 11:51 PM

to reduce the recoil i would look into a limb saver recoil pad! they arent all that expensive! my brother has one for his 12 ga. remington, that kicks like a mule when he runs slugs through it! it is all rubber and slides on the butt of the gun! well you have to pull it over the butt of the stock!

mohunter82 10-13-2007 07:24 AM

To deduce recoil definately look at the limb saver recoil pad.

sjsfire 10-13-2007 09:04 AM

You don't really need a tree stand. I now have two set up and there are some advantages. I hunted 15 years without them. But instead of just setting on the ground I either used a 5 gallon bucket with a lid, good to carry a few extra thing with you. Later I made me a "tree seat" tha attaches the the tree with a ractchet strap. These keeps your rear end dry if the ground is wet.

MrReg 10-13-2007 10:22 AM

No.Most of my gun deer are from ground blinds.Bow Hunting I like to be in a stand.The buck in my avatar is from a ground blind.

sachiko 10-13-2007 01:09 PM

ORIGINAL: LadySyl

I'll be hunting with a Mossberg ATR-100 .270 win....by the way, what is good to reduce the recoil? I really don't like the kick! (my husband says that it's "just a little kick", ha ha! yeah right...not for me!)
We don't use a stand. We stalk them. Partly because my husband is deathly afraid of heights. He gets shakey changing a light bulb in the kitchen ceiling.

The heavier the gun, the less recoil. I'm really little so I use a .50 caliber Hawken style muzzleloader. I can hardly feel it.

bayou_buckslayer 10-13-2007 03:15 PM

well you dont need to get a new deer stand every month but when you have a good stand dont remove it from the area but when you have a stand thats not so great give it time set up tripods but if that doesnt work try something new move somewhere and work on it well the last thing you need is to move that one you need to have more than 1 stand im meen cmon soooooooo depends

bigtim6656 10-13-2007 03:47 PM

for public land i would say no to a stand not unless you plan to take it down every hunt. This is my first year in a stand and i think it helps alot .
Look at the pop up blinds you can move them if the deer are elsware and if your on public land if someone is in your spot you just have to move simple

ORIGINAL: LadySyl

This is going to be my first time hunting. I've been preparing for it for a while but I want to know, do I really need a tree stand?

Centauri 10-13-2007 06:30 PM

Not nessesary, but they are a HUGE advantage. Your off the ground, where it is often cold and wet,and the deer really can't easily see you. It gives you a very wide field of view, and Ive heard that deer really cant smell you either. Its kinda bad because its pretty dangerous, but thats why they invented harnesses. Depending on what kind of stand you use and where you hunt, it is a drag to get it through the woods, and in some places, tree stands are illegal. On public land, you cant build a permanent one, and you cant use the spikes that serve as ladders to get into the stand. But, my dad got a monster 11 pointer from the ground. They all have their advantages and disadvantages.

bigtim6656 10-14-2007 06:34 AM

good points centauri

and if i understand the laws right a ladder stand is also illegel on public land because they have a hook on the back that sticks in the tree atless mine does.

Centauri 10-14-2007 10:40 AM

Hmm.... My ladder stand doesnt have that. Im not sure, but if you have to screw something in, you have to remove it when you are finished hunting

kingnn93 10-14-2007 06:53 PM

my opinion is that you dont need a stand ... if you have a good spot and many deer trails or seen many deer in that area i think you should be fine ..... im afraid of stands because im afraid of heights and i dont think its necessary o well thats just my opinion
good luck newhoo :)

GTOHunter 10-14-2007 07:34 PM

Do you need a ladder stand..?

If your hunting a largeopen area with good view I would suggest getting a nice ladder stand to raise you up so you can see further and get one that has the fold down front rest so you can steady your gun on it (.270) since it will shoot pretty far with that caliber of gun you can cover a large area.I have about 4 different stands set up on our farm to hunt out of.

#1. I have a 2-man ladder stand for using when I take my Daughters on the Youth hunts.It has the fold down front arm/gun rest and a fold up bench seat if I want to Bow Hunt out of it and have more room.

#2.Hunters View Climbing Stand

#3.Older climbing stand in the bottom field

#4.Hunters View ground Blind set up in the field over looking 2 small soybean fields.

If your hunting on Private Property you can set up a ladder stand and put a chain around it and lock it so no one will steal it.I have used ladder stands for several years and have seen a lot more deer and game because I'm up higher and have a better view.If your in thick cover with little visibilty you would be better off still hunting/stalking or buying you one of those seats that strap to the lower bottom are of a tree to have a comfortable seat to sit and hunt out of.

Recoil:
You could also try shooting the bullets from Remington called "Managed Recoil" they are suppose to have less recoil and shoot close to the same level at 100 yards as regular bullets,you will have to re-sight your gun in with them to see where your groups are.What ever you decide "Good Luck" Hunting,be carefuland have fun!

Brewtopia 10-14-2007 09:39 PM

Greetings all, new member and first post,just wanted to add to this thread,I too am a new hunter and this thread has some great info. Looking forward to meeting and learing from everyone here.

johnnyc531 10-15-2007 12:44 PM

I hunted my entire first year without a tree stand, used ground blinds that we built out of deadfall and branches and the existing cover. I had really once chance during archery season that I could have taken a deer out of my blind, but since we were holding off on 4 pts or less I let the buck and doe that was with it walk. Later that same season just standing amongst a little clump of pines I took my first deer with a 12 gauge.

2nd year I picked up a hang on stand and a climber. I had 3 shots at deer in the first week of archery from a stand (make sure you practice shooting from elevation if you use one. I blew all three shots with my bow. [:@] That same week hunting from a little sugar shack I also missed a shot at a buck with a bow. Come Shotgun season I took the 10pt in my signature with my 12 gauge from my climber stand. The deer was about 15 feet away from the base of my tree when I shot it. I don't think the buck would have approached that close if I was on the ground.

I bought a cheap popup blind this offseason and this last weekend tried it out. I found it very small to try and draw a bow in. I had one doe pass by me out of range, but noticed she was watching me intently the whole time as she trotted by. My mistake I guess was not having the blind setup awhile for the deer to get used to it. I left it out and will probably not use it till shotgun season. I'lll probably be in stands most the rest of bow season. Come shotgun season I'll use my stands some but also do some ground hunting.

There are lots of options out there, do what works for you or you like. Also if you want try hunting from makeshift blinds and stalking for the first year, make sure you enjoy hunting enough before you dump your fortune onto any real fancy equipment. If you do get a stand I suggest a climber, just be carefull with it and no matter what do not climb a tree with it unless both part are teathered together (this could save your life, did for me when I was descending this weekend and base slipped down the tree.) I also like the shooting shooting rail, big platform to stand on and bigger seat with a back on the climber opposed to the rather small hang-on stand I have. Makes me feel much more secure when I'm 20 feet or higher up a tree.

ab_newfie 10-15-2007 01:03 PM

You don't need a stand of any sort, or a blind for that matter, if your not bow hunting!
I have taken plenty animals and have never used one. Just hunt the wind and be as quiet as you can.
Good luck, be safe and have fun!

Planter 10-15-2007 02:42 PM

I make cheap ground blinds using $15 worth of camo and a few staples. The deer don't mind them and I have been successful using them. Still like my tree stands the best though.

sky_guy_61 10-15-2007 06:55 PM

I like getting as high as possible in a tree for several reasons. You can see a long way.. but this depends on the terrain of course. Your scent will carry over them if they are close. They wont notice your movements the higher you are.

If you are on the ground they might notice the slightest movement. I had a yearling see me in my stand and just stared at me. I was only 15 feet up. It did not think anything in a tree was a threat, so just sat down. Older deer get wise to hunters in trees, but the higher you go the less they will notice. Last year I was about 60 feet up and a buck comes along. I shot and missed him. He ran right under my tree and stopped.. then I got him. Never knew where I was.

When I am bow hunting I dont go as high because of the shooting angle.. otherwise I get as high as I can. I am using a climbing stand on public land.. and just carry it with me.

Keep in mind I used to be a tree surgeon.. so am comfortable with the heights.. and take plenty safety precautions.

Alsatian 10-15-2007 08:57 PM

No, you don't need a tree stand. I think these are more important for bow hunters who need to get within about 30 yards or less of the deer to have a good chance of success. At 150 yards with a rifle, who needs a tree stand? I personally prefer the freedom and spontaneity of selecting a ground blind as I find a good spot. Just locate yourself where the wind blows your scent away from where you expect the deer to show, sit in shadow, break up your outline by having ground cover in front of you, wear something to darken your face to keep it from flashing as you turn your head (the face is highly reflective and "flashes" --turns from light to dark -- as the head rotates) such as a camoflage face net. Sit very still, move slowly, don't make noise.

Taking big bucks may be more demanding and may lead to tree stands, but for other deer ground blinds are effective.