Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What Rifle Should I get for Deer Hunting >

What Rifle Should I get for Deer Hunting

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What Rifle Should I get for Deer Hunting

Old 10-10-2007, 04:59 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What Rifle Should I get for Deer Hunting

I killed all my deer with the 30-06 including my first one when I was twelve. Unless you're a wuss the kick doesn't really bother.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:59 AM

the 30-06 will not kick any worse than the 50 cal or shotgun with turkey loads.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:08 AM

ORIGINAL: DBerrard

If you're a "decent sized guy" don't sweat the 30-06's recoil.

Anyways, I noticed you said you hunt in thick brush...can't go wrong with a 30-30 lever action (Marlin of course!) in that situation. No need for a scope if you're shooting 60 yards or closer in the brush..lil $$ saver there.
Although, I'd say go to a store you trust and find "the" guy who knows what he's talking about, explain your situation and see what you two come up with.
I agree! I use my 30-30 up to 100 yards with a Bushnell 4x scope and it gets them everytime!
Old 10-10-2007, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I used a Winchester lever action in 32 Win Spcl when I lived in PA. It is the best for heavy brush and pines. No scope needed.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:36 AM

ORIGINAL: johnnyc531

I'm a decent size guy so I should be able to handle some kickback. One of the options I considerd was looking for maybe a 30-06, I heard they kick pretty hard though and was advised to try something else.
My "old Lady" is 120lbs (give or take) and she shoots my 30-06, no problem!
Keep the butt of the rifle tight to your shoulder and there will be no issue with recoil!
30-06 is a great caliber, can hunt anything from deer to moose, by just changing the grain!
Old 10-10-2007, 10:46 AM

Size has got nothin to do with recoil....alot of big guys are pansys when it comes to recoil and I have seen small women eat it up just fine. Its all preference.

As for the calibre I am another vote for the .270 I have it in a Winchester 70 featherweight shootin 130 grain remingto corelocks for deer and other such critters. Killed a mess of critters with it.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

270 WSM.

It's obviously plenty for deer, shoots flat, and is very versatile - my dad got an over 400" elk with it
no problem. Ammo is plentiful and not much more than for 270 or 06.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: savage3006

If you only want to hunt deer you can get something smaller like 270.
A .270 is alot more versitle than people give it credit for. With the right ballistic a .270 can do a number on any thing from coyotes up to moose. For a varmit load you can run a 90gr through a .270, on deer most just use a corelokt or soft point 130-150 grain I prefer a 130 cuz it shoot flatter also I use anosler ballistic cuz I prefer more damage the better, on big game like mules up to elk and moose I would shoot the 130 or 150gr nosler ballistic tips or something along those lines. I've shota big bullelk with my 130gr nasloer ballistics and he went 10 yards and I've seen moose taken down with 150grs, one shot, went 50 yards. So don't underestimate what a 270 can dobut the most important thing is toget a gun thats gonna be comfortable for you and what you wantout of a gun weather it be a 270,30-06, or bigger.Another reason I like mine isbecasue it kicks like a 20 guage. I can shoot that gun all day long and never get tired of it and it isa really flat shooting gun.

No matter what gunanyone shoots thegun is only as good as the shooter. WCL
Old 10-10-2007, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DKA

While people have different prefrences when it comes to rifles, one of the most accurate and flat shooting rifles is 270. Have used other rifles and set up a lot of different caliburs with scopes. Each time the 270 seems to win with me anyway. Wal-Mart is having a clearance sale on Remington 710 at the present time, less than $300.00 including scope. Some people don't like the 710 but have shot mine several times and it has performed well and is very accurate.
I agree. I picked up a used 710 despite the negative comments I’ve heard about them. I got it for $100. I thought it would be good for my son to carry, or to take with me on rainy days since I didn’t have much in it, and I could leave my 700 in the truck. Admittedly it isn’t as nice a gun as my 700 (by a long shot), but I think it is well worth $300 new. I’ve shot probably 200 rounds through it (and I know that isn’t a bunch) and the scope stayed in place and it is a good shooter. The scope adjustments are true, you can count the clicks on the scope and move the point of aim in ¼” intervals consistently at a hundred yards. It is shorter than my 700 and I think it is an all around good field gun.
Many are quick to point out that you can’t replace the barrel, but don’t want to entertain the argument that you can replace the whole gun for less than most barrels.
First rifle, don’t have a lot to spend, don’t want used or whatever. I’d recommend one. You don’t feel bad letting it get wet or scratched up, which makes it kind of nice to carry.

But whatever you do, don’t listen to anyone who says to stay away from a 30-06! Maybe there are better, I don’t really think so, but none are more proven and you can pick up the ammo at any little roadside store, in any little town. They make all different kinds of loads for the 30-06. You can literally hunt anything with it. If you’re only going to own one rifle, make it a 30-06. And I didn’t make that up, it is a given in riflemen, hunters and shooters alike.
Good luck,
KP

Old 10-10-2007, 12:40 PM

ORIGINAL: Killer_Primate

ORIGINAL: DKA

While people have different prefrences when it comes to rifles, one of the most accurate and flat shooting rifles is 270. Have used other rifles and set up a lot of different caliburs with scopes. Each time the 270 seems to win with me anyway. Wal-Mart is having a clearance sale on Remington 710 at the present time, less than $300.00 including scope. Some people don't like the 710 but have shot mine several times and it has performed well and is very accurate.
I agree. I picked up a used 710 despite the negative comments I’ve heard about them. I got it for $100. I thought it would be good for my son to carry, or to take with me on rainy days since I didn’t have much in it, and I could leave my 700 in the truck. Admittedly it isn’t as nice a gun as my 700 (by a long shot), but I think it is well worth $300 new. I’ve shot probably 200 rounds through it (and I know that isn’t a bunch) and the scope stayed in place and it is a good shooter. The scope adjustments are true, you can count the clicks on the scope and move the point of aim in ¼” intervals consistently at a hundred yards. It is shorter than my 700 and I think it is an all around good field gun.
Many are quick to point out that you can’t replace the barrel, but don’t want to entertain the argument that you can replace the whole gun for less than most barrels.
First rifle, don’t have a lot to spend, don’t want used or whatever. I’d recommend one. You don’t feel bad letting it get wet or scratched up, which makes it kind of nice to carry.

But whatever you do, don’t listen to anyone who says to stay away from a 30-06! Maybe there are better, I don’t really think so, but none are more proven and you can pick up the ammo at any little roadside store, in any little town. They make all different kinds of loads for the 30-06. You can literally hunt anything with it. If you’re only going to own one rifle, make it a 30-06. And I didn’t make that up, it is a given in riflemen, hunters and shooters alike.
Good luck,
KP

Couldn't have said/wrote it bettermyself!!

Quick Reply: What Rifle Should I get for Deer Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.