Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Would you shoot or not ?

Old 10-07-2007, 07:30 PM

Default Would you shoot or not ?

I was out before first light yesterday and it was uneventful til @ 8:30. That's when I spotted an 8 pointer alone. I glassed him for about 10 minutes as he walked my direction into a thicket and I lost a visual. As I was trying to anticipate his entrance in front of me, I began to hear alot of barking in the distance. It turned out to be over two dozen hound's with two fox hunters on horsesmaking all kind's of racket yelling and bugeling. All of the sudden the 8 pointer, along with three bucks and 4 does came blasting by me. Three of them, including the 8 point,stopped long enough for a shot. I drew back and before I decided whether to release or not, they took off. Would you consider this "fair chase" and would you have shot any them? I'm not one who hunt's with dog's and I don't want to ban fox hunting, but I felt like the morning was somewhat tainted. Anyhow, I enjoyed being out there regardless. Good luck to all this season.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Would you shoot or not ?

If you had a shot I would have taken it. Not your fault someone ruined your hunt.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:30 PM
Typical Buck

If it was a good clean one I would have taken the shot as well. Like mentioned it wasnt your fault. But tommorrows another day, keep your chin up and good luck.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:38 PM

two fox hunters on horses making all kind's of racket yelling and bugeling. All of the sudden the 8 pointer, along with three
Is that any less fair chase than shooting a deer another hunter spooked into your line of sight?

I shot my doe last year 15 minutes after hearing gun shots in the direction she came running from. I would consider that situation and yours to be the same.

Ultimately, the decision is on the guy/gal holding the gun/bow. You have to sleep with yourself at night, not that I would have any touble sleeping after taking the shot you described.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:40 PM
Fork Horn

Ah them Bloody English and their Fox Hounds.Around here you would probably get a Ticket for shooting.

big rockpile
Old 10-07-2007, 10:23 PM
Spike

if it was public land i would have for sure. But its all up to the hunter if he thinks that its ethical or not!!
Old 10-08-2007, 06:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

Duh, yeah!! Anything in the woods can spook a deer and it would be impossible to discern what spooks them at all times if that is a concern for you. You may as well quit hunting.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd have taken the shot. The dogs, horses, and the guy tootin the horn did you a favor. It's not like you set it up.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:07 AM
Typical Buck

I would've taken the shot. As they said, they weren't your dogs and you weren't using them to hunt. Perfectly legal shot.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:33 PM
Fork Horn

I'm taking that shot. It doesn't matter what caused them to run by you, take that shot. Especially since they ruined your hunt with the dogs.

Quick Reply: Would you shoot or not ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.