Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Need advice: lowest recoil gun, that is powerfull enough for deer >

Need advice: lowest recoil gun, that is powerfull enough for deer

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Need advice: lowest recoil gun, that is powerfull enough for deer

Old 10-05-2007, 09:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Need advice: lowest recoil gun, that is powerfull enough for deer

All,

I need a super low recoil gun (recent surgery to upper back) that is still good enough to take down a deer. I'd probably be limited to 100 yard shots. I was thinking .243 with one of the aftermarket recoil pads. Any suggestions on a good combo (gun, recoil pad, and ammo)?

thoughts please?
Old 10-05-2007, 09:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need advice: lowest recoil gun, that is powerfull enough for deer

Old 10-05-2007, 09:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know .223 is legal, but is it good for deer? that enough power?
Old 10-05-2007, 09:41 PM

Acutally with lots of different recoil reduction methods out there its crazy how big of a gun you can shoot. This guy i hunt with has a .300 WIN MAG and he has 2 mercury recoil reducers in the stock of his gun and a limbsaver and the thing has little to no kick, its just unreal. And they dont cost that much, but i would suggest a .243 or a 25-06 cause they still have fairly good range and they dont kick that much.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

i've taken deer with .223 with no issues. don't expect to shoot deer right in the front shoulder and think the round will break both shoulders and drop the deer. however, if you do your work and make a well placed shot right behind the front shoulders, the deer won't go far.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

223 will work just fine i killed 8 deer with mine. My name wouldnt be deerslayer223 for no reason. Just put it behind the shoulder with a decent bullet and you will kill you're deer everytime. Dont listen to these people that say you need atleast a 270 to kill a deer. I've seen it first hand. I had back surgery and couldn't take any recoil for quite a few years and it was magic for me.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

.270 all the way. I've got a rem. model 700 synthetic stainless and it kicks like a 20 guage or less and thats without any special recoil pads. You could pad it and shoot a soft shooting bullet and have just as much recoil as a 223 or 243. I could shoot that gun all day and not get tired or sore of it. You can also combine alot of ballistics in cartrages for a 270 and kill anything from yotes to big game with them. Alot of people may argue on the big game aspect of shootin a 270 for like elk and bigger but with the right bullet and shot placement there is no trouble with bringin a big animal down with one shot. Ive shot abull elk with mine 130 grain nosler ballistic tip and he went 10 yards. Ive seen a guy on tv shoot a huge bull moose with a 270 and it hardly went anywhere. WCL
Old 10-05-2007, 11:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

I like the 2506 better then the 243. Recoil is comparable IMO. Another to consider is the 7mm 08, my wife will not touch my 270wins but she has absolutely no problems stepping behind the 7mm 08 I bought as a learning CF for thepotential newhunters in the fold. My 10 yo nephew had little trouble moving from my 22 250 to the 7mm 08 this summer - not a big kid either.

Good luck
Old 10-06-2007, 04:48 AM
Host of Hosts

Old 10-06-2007, 05:15 AM
Fork Horn

You can also use a 30-06 with 'Managed recoil'. And if you have a Limbsaver (~$40), then you have a very comfortable gun to shoot.

Quick Reply: Need advice: lowest recoil gun, that is powerfull enough for deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.