Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How long before you decide to move your stand? >

How long before you decide to move your stand?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How long before you decide to move your stand?

Old 10-03-2007, 11:21 AM
Fork Horn

Default How long before you decide to move your stand?

I have been out to my stand about 4 times since the season opened on Monday and i have not seen one deer. I saw deer sign this year inthe form of tracksand some old rubs from last year on the trees nearby but nothing yet. How long do you guys wait before deciding to move toa new location?
Old 10-03-2007, 05:21 PM

Default RE: How long before you decide to move your stand?

I will hunt a spot all season if there is buck sign there when the rubs and scrapes stop some else killed him or he left.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd give it alittle more time at least.depending on the temp they may be moving more at night than in the day. What till pre-rut starts kicking in and they start making sscrpes again.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Patience is a virtue every hunter should strive for.

If you thought it was a good place for a stand - go with it. I assume you are paying attention to wind and your path in/out, etc.

Go with this. You obviously want to move it - don't deny it. Leave it. Set up another stand so when wind changes - you have option "B".

Now let's get to the most important item here. I believe it has alot to do with why you are not seeing deer.............

Why would a dude have a picture of some big muscle guy smiling and half naked as an avatar. Go with something like a race car number, a big deer, a musclecar (no imports) or (if the mods would let you) a hot chick. Then the deer will come.

Ixna the udeda ickqa
Old 10-04-2007, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

i dont think you should move yet, i hunt close to you and havent seen a deer yet, i think the 80 degree weather has something to do with it
Old 10-04-2007, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Like others have said, this time of year can be tough.

That being said, I think the worse thing you can do is overhunt a stand. This is coming from a guywho was real stubborn when it came to moving. I used to think the longer I stayed, the better my chances because sooner or later they will be coming through.

In order to be suucessful you have to hunt where the deer are. If you hunt one stand and see nothing for 2+ days, that tells me the deer are not there. Get out, start scouting again and find them.

Just my .02, but you will see and shoot more deer.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well...I'm thinking about moving, because I've already killed two out of my stand with a bow... I have been 7 times and seen deer every time, I have had deer within 15 yards of me 5 different times...I took 2 shots....It isn't the weather, it's not the moon phase, it's not because you aren't wearing yout lucky tee shirt.....

Why are you there, in that location???? Why did you pick that tree???
How far are you from the bedding area?? Are you hunting mornings or evenings?? When the deer travel through that area, which way do they come from?? Where do they go??? What wind direction do you need to hunt that area??? How do you get into and out of the area without spooking the deer???
What are the deer feeding on in your area??? And perhaps most important, what type weather will the deer move in....Back in July, when we were having record high temps, for two days, deer were feeding in the middle of the day, out in the soybean fields...The heat doesn't bother them, they are in it every day...In NC the white oaks are starting to drop, the persimmons are within a week or two of being ripe, the grapes started dropping 3 weeks ago....

Where I am, we are about 3 weeks from the beginning of the rut, does are weaning their young, they are putting on the feed bag, food is the key right now to seeing deer...In 3-4 weeks you need to be on does, to see bucks....

These are a few of the questions that you need to be able to answer when you go into the woods, once all this becomes 2nd nature, you'll start seeing deer...
Old 10-04-2007, 01:41 PM

Don't move that stand... It may just be a week away from being a hot spot or trail. Try to buy or build another stand somewhere else. Perhaps, the deer are just on a different part of the property, due to food source coming into ripeness such as acorns, persimmons, corn field, beans, etc. Also wiht more deer stands, you don't distract nature around it by hauling one in and out
Old 10-04-2007, 02:25 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for all the input guys. I can see prints and 2 well used trails right near mystand and there are a few old scrapes from last year.I am gonna give the stand a few more shots and if that does not work I am gonna leave it alone until the rut starts and then start hunting that stand again andthose old scrapes in hopes that they will be used again when the big guys are rutting this year.

IIn the meantime I am gonna try hunting another food source which is standing corn and a big filed of what i guess is just grass. The deer are always out there at sunset eating it.I have to ground hunt this are so it is harder but i almost always see deer there.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

One other thing...deer poop every 2 hours...If they feed in an area long, you will find fresh, shiny, poop...You mentioned that you see trails and tracks, this does not tell you when deer come through, it might be 1:00am, not going to help you...

Find a good bedding area (cutover, swamp, thicket)...Then find the nearest food source, that's the first spot they will feed when they get up in the evening...If you have white oaks, target that area, look at the caps, if they have a half moon cut out of them, a deer ate that one...Also, you should have 4-5 piles of poop around that tree....

My current spot is where two cutovers corner, there are 15-20 white oaks in the area and 4-5 are dropping...These trees are 50 yards form the cutover, I'm seeing deer come from the cutover at 6:00-6:15 pm and feed there until dark, last Saturday I had 12 deer feeding within 25 yards of me....That's the type area you need to find, not just a couple of deer trails in the woods....

Also...3-4 deer can make a bunch of tracks at night....

Quick Reply: How long before you decide to move your stand?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.