Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Is it wrong....

Old 10-01-2007, 07:35 AM

Default RE: Is it wrong....

There is more meat on a mature buck... and does taste better...

I never really got the "I'm a meat hunter" line for killing a yearling buck.

But hey... it's just an animal... do what you want if it's legal.

There are plenty of places to hunt mature trophy deer.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

I for one will only shoot a buck that is so old that it literally has a biggrey beard.I'll bet many of you didn't even know that a buck can actually grow a beard, but it happens if you can show enough self-control to let them live to be 10 years or older.So,every one ofthose 4-7 year old babiesthat you shot could have been a nice grey beard hanging on your wall if you were smart enough to wait another 5 years.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Kybuckhunter

Yes, you have the right to be irritated. Its very frustrating to see some guys shoot all these little bucks. When you pass up these little bucks in hopes they can grow and they cross the property and get shot then yes, its frustrating.

I hear the "I'm a meat hunter" stuff all the time. If that was true it wouldnt hurt to pass these little bucks up and take a doe or mature buck.
I understand your frustration but here's the flaw in that thinking. In some areas is not legal to take does every day of the season. Where I hunt in VA there's only 2 doe days during all of rifle season. One of our tags is a "buck only" If you're a meat hunter and you have to fill that buck only tag then you're gonna take the first set of horns that comes by becasue after all it is meat. Again I understand your frustration but not everyone has the luxuary of being able to take does all season long.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:56 AM
Kid
Typical Buck

I agree with the notion that as long as it is legal, to each his own. Here are my thoughts on the subject. If hunter "A" kills 2 does and an immature buck in a given season and hunter "B" kills 2 does and a mature Buck in a given season, they have both done the herd the same amount of good. If all the so called "trophy" hunters aren't killing their share of Does, they are doing more harm than good. Given the choice, i will harvest any doe over an immature Buck. But if the season is winding down and i still don't have meat in the freezer, you can bet i will whack a small Buck. To me the thought of letting a smaller Buck walk so someone else can harvest a bigger buck on down the line is ridiculous. Big antlers are a hunter thing, not a biological thing. I always have and always will harvest my share of Does, so the size of the Bucks i harvest really shouldn't matter to anyone.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

I for one will only shoot a buck that is so old that it literally has a biggrey beard.I'll bet many of you didn't even know that a buck can actually grow a beard, but it happens if you can show enough self-control to let them live to be 10 years or older.So,every one ofthose 4-7 year old babiesthat you shot could have been a nice grey beard hanging on your wall if you were smart enough to wait another 5 years.
That's true if you want the rack. I don't. I don't care one bit about a big rack. I'm going to take whatever I want and whatever I feel proud to take.
That being said I DO strive to take mature animals.
Also you need to be aware that if your area isn't going to produce a 150" buck, don't be looking for one. If your area can produce larger racks and 150" deer etc, then you have to make a choice to either take this 4pt, 6pt, whatever now, or take the chance and let him go to grow for you to harvest in the future. Also in my area you won't find many (if any) bucks over 5 1/2 years old due to the hunters and their ethics (which = a 120# 4 pointer is better than a 160# 6 1/2 year old doe.)[:'(]
I took a 4 pointer last year with a 17" spread. He was 4 1/2 years old. Perhaps he could have been a monster 8 pointer this year, but he was legal and his body showed that he was somewhat mature so I took him. I passed on a 5pt (looked like a yearling) and an 8pt (maybe 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 years old) and held out for a more mature deer. For me, it could have been a mature doe or that 4pt to come in next, either way they would have ended up going home with me.

If you are proud of what you take I'm happy for you. But dont' take any animal you may regret in the future.
Good luck to all!
Old 10-01-2007, 07:00 PM
Typical Buck

I'm just glad the county I hunt in in MO has had an antler restriction for the last several years. I've seen a definate increase in the size and quality of racks on the deer killed out there...
Old 10-01-2007, 08:14 PM
Fork Horn

i guess it depends, if it is a young kid who has never killed one bfore or if it is a person who has killed a bunch
Old 10-01-2007, 08:31 PM

I love my big buck hunting but there was alot less stress when I was chasing 6 pointers. As far as new hunters go I always preacher shoot a few before you Big Buck crazy. You'll miss out on alot of experiences.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

If the shot is the same, flip a coin. Each would pack equally well in the freezer. Sorry, I couldn't be more help.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:01 PM
Fork Horn

i am 17 and have been bowhunting for 4 years and killed my first deer last year, it was a small six point. i was proud as can be. i see it as if it is a deer then i will shoot it. unless it is a very small deer (ex. button buck or yearling doe). the property i hunt is surrounded by people who are ignorant to the fact that if you let the small one walk you will get more bigger deer. i want big deer but i will admit that if a nice 6 pointer gives me a shot i will take it, just because of the surrounding hunters. i know if i don't shoot it they will. and when it come to meat in the freezer, they all taste the same to me. whether it big or small my father taught me to respect and harvest any deer i feel confident and proud of shooting. that is just my 2cents.

but as was said before to each his own and i don't hold it against anyone who chooses to shoot a small deer. if that is what they choose to do then so be it.

Quick Reply: Is it wrong....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.