Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 asking permission on private land! >

asking permission on private land!

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

asking permission on private land!

Old 09-20-2007, 10:09 PM

Default asking permission on private land!

hello fellow deer hunters, i have been following this website for 6 years and have posted various posts on various names. this time i come to yall with a question. i am a college student and have ran into a problem. the 800 acres i have hunted at my time here is now being split up in a family dispute and is no longer an option to hunt. i have scouted out a local w.m.a but the human signs are noticable to me so i can imagine what the deer think. for those of yall that have gone out and asked permission to hunt on private land, what do you say to the land owners? i need a new place to hunt, i would rather bow hunt than riffle hunt which im sure will be a plus to the owners. i just have no clue about how to approach landowners. please help!
Old 09-20-2007, 11:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: asking permission on private land!

Knock on the door, smiling say hey hows it going. proceed from there being friendly. When it comes to the right time explain that you are in college and was wondering if you would be able to bowhunt on their land. Most will actually say yes unless someone else has permission. If they say no thank them and continue on. Also the earlier the better. I got out in feb. to find turkey hunting ground in april and may. If they are rude still be polite. Above all be polite. Did I mention be polite? I think I covered it. Also if you do by chance get something or even if you dont and you want to hunt there in the future buy them a $20 gift card to a local restuarant. This can lock in a place to hunt for a long time! Hope this helps you out and good luck finding new ground.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Start asking now. Nothing erks a land owner more than some jerk hunter comeing to their door at 4am on opening day. Introduce yourself and pay attention to what the landowner has to say. Don't be afraid to have a converstaion with them. They are usually friendly and just want to know some stuff about you. If they say no, be friendly to them and say thank you. Maybe next year they'll remember you and allow you to hunt on their land. But definatly start asking folks before the season starts.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:32 PM

bow season opened up here last weekend, but its still 90 degrees out. in rural south georgia we breed mosquitos like small birds and everyone i have talked too has been waiting for gun season when the weather is somewhat cooler and the bugswont bite through camo. we plan on goin tomorrow to ask some peoplebut i figure well have better luck on saturday when the males of the household are home and not workin too.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

See if there are plat books with all the land and landowners names available for the counties you are interested in hunting (check with the NRCS office or local County Forester). It can save a pile of time (down here they run about $40 around here). Going to the local Property Appraisers web site (if they are on-line) would be helpful also. No reason to knock on doors if you don't know if they own the land you are wanting to hunt. It is late in the year to try and run down hunting land. Won't any of the heirs of the 800 acres allow you to hunt this year?

Old 09-21-2007, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

You have been given good advice. One point I would like to make.

When you go to ask permission, don't wear any hunting attire. No camo, no hunting hat, etc. Some folks may get turned off by that hunting look, but if they see you in jeans etc, it will not hurt your cause.

Being polite and accepting whatever they say without controversy is key. If they grant permission, thank them. If they don't grant permission, thank them.

Explaining that you are a college student and plan to bow hunt only should be a plus for you.

Good luck...I hope it turms out well for you.........Jimmy
Old 09-21-2007, 01:09 PM
Fork Horn

One other thing to do is get some insurance. In NJ one of theclubs offer liability insurance for a nominal fee of like 35 dollars a year that is good on any property you hunt for any hunting related acts you may commit or injuries you may cause. As a landowner I would look very favorably on someone who had such insurance compared to someone who doesn't , especially in light of the fee.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:19 PM

Offer to pay his insurance, lean payments, and property taxes!
Old 09-21-2007, 09:52 PM

just try and be kind and proffesional