Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Hunting Advice

Old 09-19-2007, 06:58 PM

Default Deer Hunting Advice

I'm a newbie, I really don't have anyone to teach me how to deer hunt so I'm learning on the fly here. I'm going to KY this weekend to try my hand at bowhunting and I'd like to know what you guys would do. I won't be getting there till late friday night so I won't be able to do any scouting. There are plenty of fields where I believe deer would be, but then again, I'll have a bow so it would be hard to hide myself well enough to get a decent shot. There aresome old logging roads and i'm thinking about walking those hoping to find some signs and then just sit and be patient. What would you do? It's going to be 60 degrees that morning and get up to around 90 so from what I understand the deer will mostly be bedded down. I appreciate any advice! Thanks!
Old 09-20-2007, 06:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Deer Hunting Advice

Get a pop-up blind.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:14 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Deer Hunting Advice

ORIGINAL: farmcntry

Get a pop-up blind.
Good advice if it's a bow friendly model, I've gun hunted from them for years and love them. They give you portable cover and conceal your movement well, also very nice if it begins to rain. If you can find a natural ground blind like a felled tree top from recent logging, a round bale, or a fold in the terrain such as a gully use it. Farm equipment makes a good blind since the deer are used to seeing it and won't spook if it's in a different location from one day to the next. Cow pies make great scent cover, walk through them when you can. Are there any fruiting trees or brush on the property? Key on them if there are. Have they combined the corn or beans yet? If so skirt the edge of the treeline surrounding that field and look for trails. Concentrate on inside corners and windrows too, fencelines are another deer magnet, pay particular attention to any place where there's a low spot in the fence. How about ponds? If there's one wiithin ready reach of cover you can be sure that deer are using it, look for tracks.