Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New Hunter looking for help.

Old 09-16-2007, 12:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default New Hunter looking for help.

Hello, imnew to the forum and hunting. After many years of talking about it i will be going out hunting with a few guys i know that have been hunting for quite a while. I am trying to educate myself as much as possible so that i wont always have to be a tag a long. Other than this forum could anyone direct me to other websites, books or resources that would help me with scouting/tracking/locating, preseaon preperation and understanding whitetail habits ( bedding, scrapes, and the rut).There are many videos and books out there so i am looking for ones that some guys or ladies with experiance found helpful at any point.In michigan we start Oct 1 for bow. Any Help would be great.
Old 09-16-2007, 02:44 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: New Hunter looking for help.

Welcome. You can get the October issue of Deer and Deer Hunting magazine. Plenty of good articles, but nothing like field training.
Good luck and enjoy it!
Old 09-16-2007, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

i will ahve to agree with savage, but there is one book that my grandpa bought for me the christmas before i started hunting "The Whitetail Deer hunters Almanac" it is full of little tips, hints, and info about all aspects of hunting. It was a great source of information for me! but if you ever have specific questions i would just ask it on this forum! i havent been a member long but i can tell you these guysand ladiesknow there stuff!
Old 10-08-2007, 03:45 AM

Number one friend is keep it simple don't get caught up in all the latest greatest hype first get comfortable with your bow, shoot often in short sessions and dial in your equipment until it feels like a part of you, October is somewhat slow in Michigancommonly referred to as the October lull . The last week of October usually heats up the bucks start moving and can be found intersecting trails that does use to go from food to bedding. find does from this week on through November and bucks should be close behind. Deer Hunting is a never ending learning experience concentrate on learning deer behavior and you will be able to siphon through all the hype, take what you need from the (experts) and create the style of hunting which you most enjoy because to me hunting is personal it is there for us to enjoy in our own way, use good judgment learn the best shot angles and enjoy nature. There is a wealth of knowledge on the INTERNET ,learn the basics and use real life hunts to put the pieces together.Success will come if youcover the basics and have Patience in the woods. Let him come to you. Be scent free be quite and be confident. good luck.