Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Take the shot
18.57%
Wait for the deer to clear from behind the one looking at you
25.71%
Wait for the bigger one in the back to come into the open
41.43%
Other
14.29%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

What would you do?

Old 09-14-2007, 07:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What would you do?

LC ....I think I take the shot ...at 160 yards I think I can take that animal ...even with a 15mph cross wind ...thus why I am known as "DOCTOR DEATH"

dd
Old 09-14-2007, 09:15 PM
Typical Buck

I'd wait for the deer to seperate to ensure that only one deer was hit and I'd wait as long as I could to see if they approached any closer. The terrain seems to not be the best for attempting to move closer, and the .30-30 loaded with a 150-165 grain bullet will kill at the range given, but why take the chance of a marginal hit? Patience is a virtue!

GH
Old 09-14-2007, 09:21 PM

if the one in the front is turned to the right you may get two for one because it's head may be in the line of fire.
Um probably not the smartest choice, especially with the given gun, more then likely you would just kill the one and injure the other one.
Old 09-15-2007, 12:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

given the terrain shown in the picture, "i" would not have even toted a .30-30 out to hunt.
Old 09-15-2007, 06:25 AM

ORIGINAL: CamoCop

given the terrain shown in the picture, "i" would not have even toted a .30-30 out to hunt.
Thats why it makes you think a bit more about the shot. But no i dont think any smart hunter would take a 30.30 out to Prairies to hunt.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

The last day of the season I would be tempted to wait for the bigger one but, most likely take the one looking at me once he moves away from the others. The one looking would be closer an easier to hit. Also you never said what brand of 30-30 you are using? That would be concidered as well..
Old 09-15-2007, 07:30 AM
Fork Horn

I would wait till they split up some and and then which ever one gave me a broadside shot--Aim a little high an in to the wind about 2 inches-
Old 09-15-2007, 03:38 PM
8mm
Typical Buck

i would try to wait for them to clear out then take the big one
Old 09-16-2007, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've never used a 30-30 at that range in the open. I use mine in the thick bush. I've checked the ballistics charts and at 166 yards the bullet's traj. would be headed downward at quite a rate so I think the ones behind would be safe. In the heat of the moment though I still wouldn't take the shot till one cleared. Either one would fit nicely in the freezer.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:20 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: lethalconnection

if the one in the front is turned to the right you may get two for one because it's head may be in the line of fire.
Um probably not the smartest choice, especially with the given gun, more then likely you would just kill the one and injure the other one.
That's why I said that I didn't know enough about the 30-30; but may attempt it with the 30-06. With the latter you have a clean shot (heart/lungs, or neck) at 160 yards and it is strong enough to take down the deer in the background of it happens to be turned to the right, which is the unknown.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.