Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Posting Blinds???

Old 09-12-2007, 09:19 PM

Default Posting Blinds???

I know, this might sound stupid to some but what exactly are you looking for when setting up a blind???

Thanks too those who help!!!
Old 09-13-2007, 07:41 AM

Default RE: Posting Blinds???

IMO, you are gonna want to set up in a spot that offers good cover, good shooting/approach lanes and one where deer are present. I like/prefer to set-up in an elevated spot if possible.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

When choosing a spot for your blind look for a main travel route that deer use then pick an area close by , you'll want to be within 30 to 50 yards from that trail.
Try to find a spot that provides good cover like a thick bush or a group of trees that areclose toegther but open enough for you to put your blind in.
Remember once you put your blind to brush it in including the roof to break up the out line of it and above all make sure you spray it down with a good sent killer inside and out.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:23 AM

If you can hunt near a corn field, they are pretty easy to brush in. Your can use the corn to break up the outline as well as help dampen the sounds from inside. Definately, spray it down with a good scent killer and if you can leave it out there for a few weeks to let them get used to it being around. The corn edges have worked the best for us.

JMO
Old 09-14-2007, 09:02 PM
Typical Buck

agree with the last post brushing it out will work great..at times i have brushed my blind out leaving just one area to shoot through..the front window. i have a double bull and u can put it in a field..as long as the deer can see it they will come into the field and might
walk close enough to present a shot.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another thing to consider is which direction the sun is facing your Blind?Will it be in your eyes and blinding you if your looking towards a food plot or trail in the late evening or will you be watching for deer in the mornings and it is in your eye's then?

I putmy Blind close to a soybean food plot and luckily I had the option of setting it at either end of the plot because there were tall weeds and black berry briar patches at both ends of the food plot,Ipickedthe west ward end of the field because I planned on hunting it in the evenings when the sun was setting and it would be to my back and I would be facing east.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:23 PM

I agree to all of the above.

The way it was told to me when I got my 1st blind, at the time primarly for turkey hunting, "put your blind in a blind" meaning to put your pop up in a natural blind and simply use your pop up for extra concealment. But, if it's not possible, just use the surrounding foilage for brush in, and just like a duck blind, Brush it once then brush it again.
and don't let anyone tell you that they don't work b/c they are great in the right setup