Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

how to read acorns

Old 09-09-2007, 07:42 PM
Spike

Default how to read acorns

Here are a couple of questions I have about in relation to deer. I have hunted patches of white oak trees and never seen a deer. So I am wondering if there is some way to tell if deer are eating them.

[ul][*]Is there was a way to read the fallen acorns on the ground to see if deer are eating them or just squirrels, both or neither? [/ul]

[ul][*]Does a deer eat the entire acorn or just the nut part. I ask this because I see someacorns on the groundthat have just the cap part of the acorn (part that has the stem on it). So I'm wondering if this is from a squirrel or a deer?[/ul]

Old 09-09-2007, 07:46 PM

Default RE: how to read acorns

i have some white oak trees on my property too. the first thing i would do is bite into, or break open the acorns to see if they're bad or good.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would say that a squirrel might take the cap off an acorn before running off with it. It seems to me thata deer would eat the whole thing. But the cap may be seperating when it falls. I've seen lots of whiteoak acorns on the ground capless. If you are seeing broken bits of acorn husks lying around, that's probably squirrels. Again the deer eat the whole thing.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:17 AM
Typical Buck

Hey MU!

Whiteoak acorns are a preferred food source for whitetail deer. The difference between a white or red oak acorn is the level of tannic acid found in each. There is less tannic acid in the whiteoak, so they're "sweeter" than the reds. They will eat both, but almost always eat whiteoaks first. Squirrels will leave little bits of acorn on the ground where they cut them, but they will also pick up the entire thing and run off and bury it. Every deer I've ever watched eat any acorn, pops the cap off when they first crunch it. The cap usually falls out of their mouth, and they leave it. In my area, whiteoaks are prefferred over almost anything, even agricultural crops.

GH
Old 09-10-2007, 10:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Look at the cap laying on the ground...If the cap has a U bitten out of one side, a deer ate that one....If you are sure they are white oaks, deer are eating them, they just might be eating others during daylight and yours at night...Can you put up a trail cam??? Might get some good pictures that will tell you what time they are coming in....

Also...How close is the nearest bedding area??? I like to hunt white oaks that are closest to the bedding area....
Old 09-10-2007, 05:27 PM

"how to read acorns"

From left to right!!! [8D][8D]

Old 09-10-2007, 08:05 PM
Typical Buck

Mufan,
I've got a bowstand set up next to an white-oak grove and come mid-october, I've literally seen deer run to it early in the morning (when the acorns start dropping). Set up your stand on a well travelled trail leading from a bedding area to cover and get there early. Good luck!