Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Where Have All the Hunters Gone? >

Where Have All the Hunters Gone?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Where Have All the Hunters Gone?

Old 09-03-2007, 05:06 PM

Default RE: Where Have All the Hunters Gone?

You guys have hit it on the head. Another thing is parents who don't come from a hunting background like my mother would rather us play video games than hunt because "guns are dangerous" and video games are not. My mom refused to let me own a gun even though i wanted to hunt and get into shooting because guns are dangerous and she doesn't like guns. I had to prove to her that i would take every precaution for safety. When i bought my first gun i bought a trigger lock and three pad locks to lock the case. She slowly warmed up to the fact that i wanted to shoot and hunt and that guns are dangerous in an inexperienced hand who hasn't been tought the safe ways to handle firearms by either family or by way of a hunters education course. I think a hunters ed course should be required of all gun owners so they can safely store and use their firearms. We all know of that person who owns firearms that you don't feel safe around. I have a ton of respect for those guys and gals that volunteer their time to teach kids and adults how to safely hunt and use firearms as well as bows. I have thought about doing the same in my area when i get more experienced in the woods hunting and with using a firearm.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:36 PM
Spike

Although electronic video games are a factor, they are not the main problem. My son and his friends grew up on the gadgets and now he can't wait for our annual hunting trip to South Carolina in November, and his friends are dying to join us. As a matter of fact, one of them is joining us this year; but it is just not financially feasible for the rest of them right now.

A big part of the problem is society, it's love of lawsuits, and fear of liability. I askedmy school to participate inthe NASP (National Archery in School Program) andoffered to teachthe classafter school on my own time, after Iwent through the training myself of course. I was told that the districtdid not want the liability of childrenhandling bows and arrows, or any other weapons.

Last year they rejected the idea of a paintball club, so I wasn't expecting much; but I tried anyway.

Too many people are afraid of the use of weapons and they don't realize that the way to control violence and accidents is to teach children the positive use of weapons for sports such as hunting, and to provide safety education.

Another problem is the cost of hunting. As I mentioned at the begining, I have at least five of my son'sJROTC classmatesthat want to join us; but they can't afford it.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:36 PM

WE need more hunters that arent so selfish about the price they pay for the land they hunt and willingly take someone (women, kids, friends) to experience the outdoors with them. WE need to show our kids what GOD created and why it is important for them to see the life cycle and the importance of game conservation/management. WE need to join conservation groups that turn the money into something productive and important ( ones that have youth programs ). Get on longknife 12s page and do something proactive like take a kid hunting. WE need to introduce and be good stewards of the sports so we will have the sports down the road!
Old 09-03-2007, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not that way around here.