HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Where Have All the Hunters Gone?
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2007, 06:36 PM
omarrh
Spike

Default RE: Where Have All the Hunters Gone?

Although electronic video games are a factor, they are not the main problem. My son and his friends grew up on the gadgets and now he can't wait for our annual hunting trip to South Carolina in November, and his friends are dying to join us. As a matter of fact, one of them is joining us this year; but it is just not financially feasible for the rest of them right now.

A big part of the problem is society, it's love of lawsuits, and fear of liability. I askedmy school to participate inthe NASP (National Archery in School Program) andoffered to teachthe classafter school on my own time, after Iwent through the training myself of course. I was told that the districtdid not want the liability of childrenhandling bows and arrows, or any other weapons.

Last year they rejected the idea of a paintball club, so I wasn't expecting much; but I tried anyway.

Too many people are afraid of the use of weapons and they don't realize that the way to control violence and accidents is to teach children the positive use of weapons for sports such as hunting, and to provide safety education.

Another problem is the cost of hunting. As I mentioned at the begining, I have at least five of my son'sJROTC classmatesthat want to join us; but they can't afford it.