Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

no-plow type seeds

Old 09-03-2007, 12:17 AM

Default no-plow type seeds

Alright guys, do they work? I'm about to be hunting an area where I can't take anything into. It's about 200 acres of PRIME land and I have permission to walk across unhuntable land but I can't drive something across(only about 30 yards, but still). B/c I can't take anything into this land to cultivate some food plots, what is the general consensus on no-plow type seed? What brands do you guys use and how does it work?
Old 09-03-2007, 02:06 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: no-plow type seeds

yes thy do work and pretty well..i have always looked at the weather and spread before a rain storm..they germinate really quicky..1st week u will get a green over i love it
Old 09-03-2007, 10:33 AM
Fork Horn

can you tell me what brand and product works as a no-plow. Id like to try some this year if it isnt too late to plant.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:11 AM
Typical Buck

there are a few out there...but i used the whitetail institute NO-Plow seed...i think evolved habits has one too..
but i am tellin u...wait for a good rain and get them down...they will pop right up...try the 30/06 mineral that they
have too...man, thy eat holes in the ground...im neva lying about that. i could not believe it...thought the produce
was a gimick u can email me if u [email protected]
Old 09-03-2007, 01:27 PM

I used the THRO-N-Grow last year and it worked pretty well! I used a rake to rake the leaves then threw the seed right before a rain. It grew fairly well!
Old 09-03-2007, 04:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

why cant you just pull a teller in with you that not driving your still walking also it wold take soem time but there are gas weedeaters that have a small teller

but no plow seed work just het a good source like todd a smith said whitetail institute makes great seed call them and they will help you alot
Old 09-04-2007, 05:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

ssssshhhh dont tell him this but its actually called "no-till" let him keep looking for no-plow seed
Old 09-04-2007, 05:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr

ssssshhhh dont tell him this but its actually called "no-till" let him keep looking for no-plow seed
So where can you find this "no till" seed .... Famers Co-Op or Gander Mountian?

dd
Old 09-05-2007, 09:38 AM

Shhhhh, dont tell them but its not a special seed!!!!!!!

It cracks me up how gullable we humans are. These companies are schooling us in marketing 101. Be it Mossy Oak Biologic to Whitetail clover its all fancy packaging. You can buy identical seed for a lot less money, it just doesn't have the "name brand" on it.

You can go to about any farm supply and pick up either annual rye, or winter weat seed. and get the same results. Rake/ weed eat an area down and broadcast the seed. Some of it will take some will not.You will obviously get ahigher percentage of germination on cultivated soil than uncultivated.I imagine that the packing incourages higher seeding rates on the "NO Till" thus increasing the odds of coverage. Its simple math, You are going to get a lower percentage of germination so you increase the volume of seed to compensate.

Rye generally germinates in 7-10 days. so if you spread some rye grass and it comes a nice rain you will start seeing sprouts in about a week. The beauty of Rye is that it doesn't mind a little shade, and deer realy like the nice tender shoots of new grass.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:08 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: ShatoDavis

Shhhhh, dont tell them but its not a special seed!!!!!!!

It cracks me up how gullable we humans are. These companies are schooling us in marketing 101. Be it Mossy Oak Biologic to Whitetail clover its all fancy packaging. You can buy identical seed for a lot less money, it just doesn't have the "name brand" on it.

You can go to about any farm supply and pick up either annual rye, or winter weat seed. and get the same results. Rake/ weed eat an area down and broadcast the seed. Some of it will take some will not.You will obviously get ahigher percentage of germination on cultivated soil than uncultivated.I imagine that the packing incourages higher seeding rates on the "NO Till" thus increasing the odds of coverage. Its simple math, You are going to get a lower percentage of germination so you increase the volume of seed to compensate.

Rye generally germinates in 7-10 days. so if you spread some rye grass and it comes a nice rain you will start seeing sprouts in about a week. The beauty of Rye is that it doesn't mind a little shade, and deer realy like the nice tender shoots of new grass.
Correct. I buy my seed from Southern States. They have individual bags of clover, chickory, ect ect. You can buy them seperate and blend what you want and have more than buying a bag already mixed. They sit right under bags from Whitetail Inst. and such.

Some of the big keys is knowing the PH of the soil and adding lime, and some 10-10-10 fert if and when needed.

Quick Reply: no-plow type seeds

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.