Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Lessons for young hunters

Old 08-30-2007, 04:06 AM
Spike

Default Lessons for young hunters

So some of you seasoned hunters need to tell us young bucks what are some of the most important things you have learned about hunting. I have found that I can read all the books and watch all the hunting shows I want to, but experiences are the best teachers. So share your knowledge.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Lessons for young hunters

Im going to say, get to know the animal you are persuing. By knowing how the animal behaves during the different phases of its life, you will be able to understand how to persue the animal in a hunting scenareio.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hunt the wind.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:25 AM
BKE
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: jedge1979

So some of you seasoned hunters need to tell us young bucks what are some of the most important things you have learned about hunting. I have found that I can read all the books and watch all the hunting shows I want to, but experiences are the best teachers. So share your knowledge.
but.......in reality it more than likely will take not hours or daysbut probably weeks in the woodsbeforemany of us everget to realize the excitementthat the TV personalities miraculously seem to get each week in just 30 minutes. Don't get disappointed/discouraged, until the time comes just enjoy being in the woods because it could be worse, ya could be at work or sitting in a classroom[&o].
Old 08-30-2007, 06:33 AM
Typical Buck

Know your area your hunting.Know where the deer feed, sleep, get water, and the paths they take to get to them. Think of it like your house, this istheir house, just a much larger scale to go to the fridge to eat, long hallways to get to the bedroom and so on.

Look for scraps and rubs also when scouting.

Figure out how you want to hunt in their house. Find a tree to place a stand or stands to have some options to not overhunt one spot and also have another option if the wind isn't in your favor.If not in a tree find a spot to sit on the ground or put a ground blind up. Make sure you take a path that won't put you walking through their bedroom getting to your spot when they are bedded down. Know your shooting lanes, make adjustments if you have to but do it early for the animals to adjust to the changes.

Then is come down to you being dedicated on your scent control. Only wear your hunting clothes to hunt. I keep mine washed in some scent killer UV killer, placed in an air tight bag with some earth scent placed in there.Have some hunting boots that you use to only hunt in.The nose of a deer isa power tool.

The most important thing of all..

Know your weapon, know how it shoots, what your yardage is. Practice shooting year round. When the time is there for you to take that shot of a life time all the work you put into finding that perfect spot to hunt, scent control hours of sitting and waiting don't matter if you can't hit your target.

This is all how I look at it, I am sure others do things different and thats perfectly fine. I know how I like to hunt, and what works for me. I take alot of time and effort to blend in and also show that I never been there. Try to use your surroundings to your advantage.

Dave

Old 08-30-2007, 08:10 AM

Hunt hard, hunt safe and keep hunting fun.

Wear your safety belt if in the tree. Know you target and what's beyond it. The day hunting becomes a "chore"...it's time to step back and rethink why you are out there.

The day you can watch a buck walk within 5 yards of your tree stand and not even think about reaching for the bow....you know you've reached a place in hunting that many will never know of or even understand.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:46 AM
Fork Horn

Safety,not only for your self, but for others.
Where a Harnesswhen in the tree, falling and getting hurt will really mess up a season.
Make sure you are looking past your target before you shoot. You NEVER should assume that you are alone in the woods. Bullets go a long way. Make sure you know where your hunting buds are hunting. Bad things can happen when you don't check out what is beyond the deer. Could be another person.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:54 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Black Eagle Archer

Hunt hard, hunt safe and keep hunting fun.

Wear your safety belt if in the tree. Know you target and what's beyond it. The day hunting becomes a "chore"...it's time to step back and rethink why you are out there.

The day you can watch a buck walk within 5 yards of your tree stand and not even think about reaching for the bow....you know you've reached a place in hunting that many will never know of or even understand.
Amen!

I often tell people that there is nothing like sitting in the woods and you start to hear the symphany begin of the world waking up. You hear certain birds, then some more. Hear the squirrels scratching on trees t obegin their search of food.

Then in the evening they all start to come back to their homes. Hear you get to watch the world go to bed.

Watching all this happen is far greater than actually taking a shot.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:28 PM

#1 Hunt with the wind in your face. Its the most important thing you can to do.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:37 PM

Always take a roll or wad of toilet paper with you.

Quick Reply: Lessons for young hunters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.