Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

30-30

Old 08-28-2007, 12:25 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 30-30

That .30-30 will do a great job on deer, at the ranges you describe. One thing you might consider though...try topping it with a simple straight 4 power scope. It'll be great if you find a need to shoot over 70 yards and I don't think you'll find it any harder to get on deer with.

GH
Old 08-28-2007, 05:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

git r done
Old 08-28-2007, 06:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah Hah, another opportunity to show a pic with my 1st buck!
If its no longer the most used gun out there, its certainly one of the most talked about in here. This pic is to show that the 30-30 isn't only for small southern deer, this brute was never weighed but easily dwarfed my 180lbs (that pumpkin suit is too big for me). Here in Canada they are commonly used for moose (short range, heavy bush) and LARGE deer.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:56 AM

Yes. Every man should own a 30.30 lever action.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

Haha... according to the Brady types, you've got yourself a regular tank-killer there. This is off one of the Brady blog sites:

[blockquote]
The tragic proliferation of Sniper Rifles

I would like to take a moment to comment on the proliferation of Sniper Rifles.

Sniper Rifles are typically equipped with a high-powered scope, and every single one of them can blow through the body armor cops wear. They can even penetrate multiple police cars. Does the Second Amendment protect cop-killer Sniper Rifles? The NRA certainly thinks so, along with the powerful gun lobby that wants your children and your law enforcement officers to be at risk from these weapons of mass destruction. Some of these Sniper Rifles can even penetrate ballistic or armored glass, lightly armored vehicles, and armored limousines. Senator Ted Kennedy attempted to solve this with an important bill that would have banned armor piercing ammunition and protected lawful firearm commerce:

"Another rifle caliber, the 30.30 caliber, was responsible for penetrating three officers' armor and killing them in 1993, 1996, and 2002. This ammunition is also capable of puncturing light-armored vehicles, armored trucks capable of bursting through malls, ballistic or armored glass, armored limousines, even a 600-pound safe with 600 pounds of safe armor plating.....

..It is outrageous and unconscionable that such ammunition continues to be sold in the United States of America.."

Should our elected officials live under the threat of reprisal on their lives from disgruntled constituents? The Gun Lobby seems to think so. We disagree.

Sniper Rifles can be equipped with precision optics above even what the Military uses, allowing a sniper to deliver rounds within millimeters of accuracy - enabling them to engage targets at distances of well over one hundred meters. Is there a pressing need to be able to kill with accuracy at that distance? It is too far to justify as self defense. It is too far for hunting. It is only useful for those who wish to murder from afar.
[/blockquote]
A 30-30 piercing body armor, vehicles, and 600 lbs of armor plating? ROFLMAO... And, oh my gosh. Scopes allow you to deliver rounds accurately at ranges of one hundred meters and more. Who could have imagined such things???

So, there you have it... You've got a sniper rifle that will take out light armored vehicles! Shouldn't have too much trouble with a thin-skinned little whitetail...

Old 08-28-2007, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ipscshooter

Haha... according to the Brady types, you've got yourself a regular tank-killer there. This is off one of the Brady blog sites:

[blockquote]
The tragic proliferation of Sniper Rifles

I would like to take a moment to comment on the proliferation of Sniper Rifles.

Sniper Rifles are typically equipped with a high-powered scope, and every single one of them can blow through the body armor cops wear. They can even penetrate multiple police cars. Does the Second Amendment protect cop-killer Sniper Rifles? The NRA certainly thinks so, along with the powerful gun lobby that wants your children and your law enforcement officers to be at risk from these weapons of mass destruction. Some of these Sniper Rifles can even penetrate ballistic or armored glass, lightly armored vehicles, and armored limousines. Senator Ted Kennedy attempted to solve this with an important bill that would have banned armor piercing ammunition and protected lawful firearm commerce:

"Another rifle caliber, the 30.30 caliber, was responsible for penetrating three officers' armor and killing them in 1993, 1996, and 2002. This ammunition is also capable of puncturing light-armored vehicles, armored trucks capable of bursting through malls, ballistic or armored glass, armored limousines, even a 600-pound safe with 600 pounds of safe armor plating.....

..It is outrageous and unconscionable that such ammunition continues to be sold in the United States of America.."

Should our elected officials live under the threat of reprisal on their lives from disgruntled constituents? The Gun Lobby seems to think so. We disagree.

Sniper Rifles can be equipped with precision optics above even what the Military uses, allowing a sniper to deliver rounds within millimeters of accuracy - enabling them to engage targets at distances of well over one hundred meters. Is there a pressing need to be able to kill with accuracy at that distance? It is too far to justify as self defense. It is too far for hunting. It is only useful for those who wish to murder from afar.
[/blockquote]

A 30-30 piercing body armor, vehicles, and 600 lbs of armor plating? ROFLMAO... And, oh my gosh. Scopes allow you to deliver rounds accurately at ranges of one hundred meters and more. Who could have imagined such things???

So, there you have it... You've got a sniper rifle that will take out light armored vehicles! Shouldn't have too much trouble with a thin-skinned little whitetail...

Send all of our 30-30's to Iraq fellas. Should be over in a few days.

Since 100 yards is "too far for hunting" and "is only useful for murder from afar" I wonder if this guy could provide stats on how many animals vs how many humans have been killed with a 30-30 at over 100 yards.

Old 08-28-2007, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

If a regular old 30/30 can shoot through an entire shopping mall.... I'll bet my 30/30 Ackley Improved could shoot down the International Space Station. And with my super advanced 1.5-4x-20mm Leupold Euro scope... I will easily be able to deliever a bullet within millimeters of the port side window of that sucker! Death to the American Dogs!

Who comes up with this crap? 100 meters? This is the USA... we use yards.... if you are not from the USA... you have no say in what are gun laws are or should be! (No offense to our Canadian members meant or intended here). That was the biggest pile of junk I think I have ever read on the internet!
Old 08-29-2007, 08:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

Just a little more evidence that the anti's don't have a freaking clue...

And that those among us, who believe the anti's are only after the "bad guns", and that they won't come knocking at the door to take our hunting rifles, don't have a clue either.

Join the NRA... You may not agree with all of their policies, or all of their methods, but, they are the most effective lobby out there for our 2nd Amendment rights...