Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

night deer

Old 01-04-2003, 07:09 PM

Default night deer

I have a question. During the last week of the season I hunted all day everyday. I am on christmas break, and a couple of friends and I hunted constantly. The problem was we hardly saw anything. The had not been significant pressure on the deer all season, and we didn't see much all week. My buddy killed a small six pointer that would have been an eight, but two tines were broke off. I killed a big doe with a 200 yard off hand shot that I couldn't get the smile off my face from, and my other buddy killed a smaller doe. Anyway there is a ton of deer activity on both pieces of land that we hunt. At night after we couldn't see anymore we would get some big bucks all worked up by grunting and stomping on our way out. I know the deer are there my question after all that is: How do you keep deer from going nocturnal, and if they do can you get them to change there habits? Thanks for any replies after such a long message.
Old 01-04-2003, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: night deer

You can't make deer come out if they don't want to. Some deer just travel more at night than others. By the end of the season most of the "easy or daytime" deer have been taken, leaving alot more deer that prefer the night life. If there hasn't been pressure on the deer from people, maybe it is pressure from other preditors. Or if no pressure at all, it must just be those deer's personal preferences. As deer get older, they naturaly get more nocturnal. It is a possibility that you have a large number of mature deer in your area. Which is a good thing. I would recomend doing some kind of drive or something to get them moving. Do it as a last resort as this will pressure deer more than anything else. But if it is the last few days of the season, you don't have much to loose.

"Hey ya'll, watch this"