Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Took a deer last night >

Took a deer last night

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Took a deer last night

Old 03-23-2009, 06:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Took a deer last night

Got a call last night asking if I wanted a deer hit by a car. I’m on a list so that isn’t weird. I’m only saying this to preempt any questions of how I have the deer from any of our very concerned posters here.

Gutted it out in partial darkness and expected to see young inside, this wasa mature deerdressing out at 150. Didn’t seeany and kind of glad as I have before and don’t care to again still I would rather see them than not. Looked it over this morning and she was empty. Hope this doesn’t mean bad things for the future. It was only about 4 miles away and quit possibly one I’ve seen before.

So in a survey take here in N.W. Ohio we have a birth rate of 0%. That aint good!
Old 03-23-2009, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Took a deer last night

Dressing out at 150 means she was an old doe and most likely isn't having fawns anymore would be my guess. Nothing to worry about. Some of the biggest oldest lookin does I've got on camera don't have fawns with them ever. I'll post one that I had pics of this year if I can find it. WCL
Old 03-23-2009, 10:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

She could have been but that size isn't unusual around here. 2 year olds get that big. No shortage of feed in this part of Ohio, just deer. I took one earlier that dress at 125, about a year and a half old, and I know that for sure.

Plenty of deer go over 200 dressed. Had a couple bucks kill each other a few years back just down the road they went 290 and 310 live (or dead ). It was big news as you can imagine.

Hope your right though.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: nodog

She could have been but that size isn't unusual around here. 2 year olds get that big. No shortage of feed in this part of Ohio, just deer. I took one earlier that dress at 125, about a year and a half old, and I know that for sure.

Plenty of deer go over 200 dressed. Had a couple bucks kill each other a few years back just down the road they went 290 and 310 live (or dead ). It was big news as you can imagine.

Hope your right though.
Look her teeth, and you can tell how old she is. But i killed a 6.5 yo this year with triplets in her uterus the day after Christmas.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr

ORIGINAL: nodog

Hope your right though.
Look her teeth, and you can tell how old she is. But i killed a 6.5 yo this year with triplets in her uterus the day after Christmas.
Bummer! 4 deer at one shot.

I'm pretty sure she isn't too old.Strong deer with no sign of old age. Sherrif said she split the car open like it was a tin can, totaled it. I din't see the driver. She had some internal injuries and a broken leg but nothing really.