Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Wooden deer feeder plans......ideas? >

Wooden deer feeder plans......ideas?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Wooden deer feeder plans......ideas?

Old 08-17-2007, 11:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default Wooden deer feeder plans......ideas?

I was going to build a wooden deer feeder and was wondering if anyone had any free plans for a wooden deer feeder orwould knowwhere I could find some on the internet. Any help appreciated. Thanks!
Old 08-18-2007, 08:16 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Wooden deer feeder plans......ideas?

If you're set on wood, the only one I know of is a trough type. We've got several, but it takes most deer a while to get used to them versus gravity types. I can get you a pic if you want but I'll try to explain it simple enough to understand. The trough is a plastic 55 gal. drum cut in half length wise with a row of drain holes drilled at the bottom of the curve. I suppose you could make a plywood box for the trough if wood is all you have. A rectangle 2x4 frame is screwed around the outside top. An identical size 2x4 frame is screwed 2 ft. above ground level insidetwo 4x4 posts put in the ground. A shed or gable roof is mounted on the 4x4 posts high enough to walk under and extend past thetrough a couple feet on all sides to help keep rain out. Thebarrel sits horizontally inside the post frame with it's frame resting on top of the other one.It islifted outfor cleaning when needed.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:18 AM

trough

Old 08-18-2007, 01:38 PM
Fork Horn

thanks for the ideas.....would anyone have any ideas for a wooden gravity feeder that i could like build a tray on it and as they ate the corn or feed just kept coming out?
Old 08-18-2007, 02:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: brown_boy09

thanks for the ideas.....would anyone have any ideas for a wooden gravity feeder that i could like build a tray on it and as they ate the corn or feed just kept coming out?

That shouldn't be too hard. Think of it as a oversize bird feeder. The kind you slide the roof off to one side to refill. If you don't understand what I'm talking about go to a store that sells bird feeders and look at them. That should be a easy project with limited woodworking skills and tools.
Old 08-18-2007, 05:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

I made a few 6" PVC gravity feeders. Just pop a 90 degree elbow on it and strap it to a tree, covering the top with a plastic bucket from the dollar store. A 5or so foot piece holds about 50 pounds or more.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:48 PM

Doug hit it on the head pvc pipe is the best and its weather resistant easy to paint..attach to the tree with a couple of bungee cords and put a small rockunder pvc pipe toget it off the ground just enough to let the feed out..Since itis gravity feed you will have to check it out regurly once the turkeys find it acouple of days is all it will last..The bigger the pipe ..the more it will hold..the longer it will last.. Happy hunting in 07'
Old 08-19-2007, 08:16 PM
Fork Horn

Great picture TimberCreek! You definately feed a lot more than deer with an open trough.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:30 PM

Do not want to give the impression that is my feeder. Got that pic of the net to help him out. Heres mine.

Old 08-19-2007, 09:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Picture is sweet though

Quick Reply: Wooden deer feeder plans......ideas?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.