Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Homemade Scent Killer?

Old 08-08-2007, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Homemade Scent Killer?

I seen this recipe on a site and was wondering if anyone here has tried it to make their own scent spray.

Ingredients: 16oz. hydrogen peroxide
16oz. distilled water
1/2 cup baking soda
1oz. unscented shampoo

Step 1) Gently combine all the ingredients in a large bowl until all the baking soda dissolves. Pour this mixture into a 1-gallon lidded container. Let it sit fir three days with the lid on loosely to allow gasses to escape.

Step 2) Fill a plastic bottle that has a trigger sprayer with the scent killer. Make sure it is clean.

Ingredients: Water
Local forage

Step 1) Preferably, gather some pine needles or cedar tree branches from your local area.

Step 2) Put what you have gathered into a pot filled with water.

Step 3) Boil to your desired length of time, 10 minutes should do.

Step 4) Take out the vegetation and pour the liquid, after cooling, into a trigger spray bottle.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:01 AM

Default RE: Homemade Scent Killer?

never heard of any of that, but I do have friends that put powdered apple sent on their boots and pants before going into the woods. Thats not really a sent killer though, just a cover-up.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:08 AM

Had an old timer tell me once to take two apples with you when you go hunting.

The first one you cut into quarters. Throw one quarter to your left. Throw one quarter to your right. Throw one quarter in front of you and one behind. then sit tight.

I asked: "what about the other apple" He replied: "thats to eat, fool!"

don't know if that would be considered baiting or a cover scent....
Old 08-08-2007, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Buddy of mine made some and gave it to me. It worked as good as any of the store bought stuff...as far as I can tell.

He's still got a lot of it left for this season too. It's alot cheaper and pretty easy to do. I say go for it.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:46 PM

I spose you could always just do make it and then try smelling it....???? Run it past your dog or something, see if he picks anything up.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:15 PM
Typical Buck

I think I saw that recipe in a Field and Stream issue once. I may try it this year just to see how well it works.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:06 AM

I tried the first "recipe" last year. It seemed to work fine, and I had my opportunities at deer in pretty close. The only problem I had with it was some of the baking soda didn't completely dissolve and kept getting stuck in the tube of the spray bottle. Still have a gallon jug half-filled with the stuff and will use that this year. It's way cheaper than scent killer too.
-- B
Old 08-09-2007, 02:05 PM

I used the first recipe last year, had the same trouble with the baking soda not completely dissolving, but it does work quite well. I bought one of those big things of paper shop towels in the plastic tub from sams club, popped the top and poured some in there until it saturated the towels and left some in the bottom. I keep it in the back of my pickup for quick cleanups if needed. It completely takes away any fish smell after I've cleaned a stringer full of catfish, which is pretty nice if you wanna stop for a bite on the way home. It seemed to keep me pretty scent free on my elk hunt last year. One piece of advice though. DO NOT use it liberally on your "rear end". Made for one day of VERY uncomfortable walking in the mountains. Everywhere else was not a problem. One more thing, you have to keep in a container with a loose lid for a few days after mixing it, until it stops bubbling. The chemical reaction between the baking soda and peroxide creates a gas, and if you have it in a sealed container it can blow the top off and/or leak all over. The only major downfall is it leaves a slight white powder residue on your clothes if you use too much, but you can usually just give your clothes a rough shake to get rid of it.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:07 PM
Fork Horn

I have been using this formula for a couple of years now.
The thing that convinced methat it works was what happened to my wife's car last year.

She had ran over a skunk in her brand new car. Of course the smell was ummm....you know. She was pretty pissed and took it to the local car was for a good soaking. Came back home and of course it smelled just as bad as when she hit it.

I poured up a bottle of my "juice" and sprayed it all over the undercarriage of the car. I had her come out and give the old sniff test about 30 minutes later. NO SMELL.

Convinced me right there.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:13 PM
Spike

I bet if you put the mixture thru cheesecloth or some other type filter after the curing period in order to catch the baking soda residue, that would take care of the problem with the trigger spray nozzle getting stopped up.

Quick Reply: Homemade Scent Killer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.