HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Homemade Scent Killer?
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2007, 02:05 PM
mwaite

Default RE: Homemade Scent Killer?

I used the first recipe last year, had the same trouble with the baking soda not completely dissolving, but it does work quite well. I bought one of those big things of paper shop towels in the plastic tub from sams club, popped the top and poured some in there until it saturated the towels and left some in the bottom. I keep it in the back of my pickup for quick cleanups if needed. It completely takes away any fish smell after I've cleaned a stringer full of catfish, which is pretty nice if you wanna stop for a bite on the way home. It seemed to keep me pretty scent free on my elk hunt last year. One piece of advice though. DO NOT use it liberally on your "rear end". Made for one day of VERY uncomfortable walking in the mountains. Everywhere else was not a problem. One more thing, you have to keep in a container with a loose lid for a few days after mixing it, until it stops bubbling. The chemical reaction between the baking soda and peroxide creates a gas, and if you have it in a sealed container it can blow the top off and/or leak all over. The only major downfall is it leaves a slight white powder residue on your clothes if you use too much, but you can usually just give your clothes a rough shake to get rid of it.