Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Convicted Fellon

Old 08-07-2007, 11:15 PM

Default RE: Convicted Felon

I have a friend here in AZ who is on parole for a felonie. He can-t even own or carry a pocket knife. We prospect the desert togsther and I alwas carry a sidearm. Hsya the if the parole officer was to see us, he would be back in jail before he coul scratch his a$s. Can't even be around a firearm.

Old 08-08-2007, 12:45 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Convicted Fellon

I know in IL you need to have a FOID (Firarm Owner's Identification Card)to possess a ML so that would exclude an IL resident who is a felon from hunting with one.However, I live on the IA border and I have purchased all of my MLs in IA and I did not have to displaymy FOID cardand I don't recall, but I probably had to show my DL to prove I was over 18 but there was definitely no background check. I am not sure about the Federal classification of a ML but I am prestty sure there are certain firearms, capable of firing, that are considered antiques and I am not so sure a felon could not possess one of them but I may be wrong.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:00 PM

It's a federal law that a convicted felon cannot have in his possession a firearm, period.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Federal law says black powder guns are ok.The reasion is that they are exempted from being defined as a firearm, and are listedunderantiques and replicas. When you read the statutes make sure you are talking about the same thing. Deffinition is verry important.As far as pellet guns, anyone can use those.The key word in fire arm is fire, compressed air doesnt count.But you must comply with the state law too. In alaska, I know , last I checked, you were good to go. In wisconsin, however, the law wont let you. And I wouldnt hope to walk on it here.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:35 PM

This is about a dead thread but,
I found a case in Virginia where Virginia court of appeals upheld the decision that a blackpowder rifle is a "firearm" according to Virginia law and the defendant in this case was subsequently charged with a violation of his parole by possesing a "firearm".
AlsoFlorida Supreme court upheld a similar case.

Call your state D.A.s office or the ATF office in your state and ask.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Convicted Felon

"New Yorkdoes not make the connection between a hunting license and somebody that is a convicted felon. I know this first hand because I hunt with one."

i knew a felon in WV who hunted for many years until he was stopped by a National Forest law enforcement officer. The guy had murdered a man in a bar and was allowed to cop a plea to manslaughter. He went off to federal prison for five years.

"I just found this on the ATF website. Statute 555.106. Makes it illegal for me to possess blackpowder."

i am trulysorry for the plight that you are in.