HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Convicted Fellon (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/200796-convicted-fellon.html)

roostergun 08-05-2007 09:45 PM

Convicted Fellon

I am not a fellon but I have a question . Can convicted fellons Muzzle loader hunt . They can buy one because all you have to be is 18 years of age . If im not mistaking I think fellons are allowed to bow hunt ???????

Another question is a muzzle loader considerd a Fire Arm? Or just a premitive wepon ? Pleas reply im trieng to prove some one wrong on this thanks alot guys >.

Diggerr 08-05-2007 09:51 PM

RE: Convicted Fellon

Check with your local PD. Good Q though

TimberCreek 08-05-2007 10:09 PM

I would check with ATF (Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms), but I believe they are not allowed to purchaseany firearm. There is also a differance between purchasing and being in position of one. So would ask both questions. Different states may not allow felonsto get permits so you would have to check with the state too. Good question though. Since I permit hunters to hunt my property, I would hope there was a check and balance somewhere to ensure I don't have a felon who was illegal on my property, if it was illegal.

TimberCreek 08-05-2007 10:15 PM

Also wonder what the liability would be permitting a felon to hunt private property. Maybe there should be a way landowners can do a background check before allowing someone to hunt their property. Just another reason why some landowners are no longer allowing hunters on their property.

smitdog 08-05-2007 10:21 PM

I use to work with a guy who was a convicted fellon he told me he could not own a black powder nor a bow or anything that shoots a projectile.

bsurplus2003 08-05-2007 11:27 PM

Felons can not possess any Firearm....cant even have them in there home....;)Knowing this only because of haveing a Law Enforcment Background.
Brett

kdvollmer 08-05-2007 11:28 PM

Im no fellon either but let me pose this question for general discussion..

Lots of things can make a person a felon, and some of them are really ot violent offenses. Some states speeding over a certain speed is a felony, You know that a guy who rejects the anthrax shot from the military, and gets court martialed, is a fellon? I think there needs to be some distinction on what crimes specifically ban a person from owning a firearm. There are some things that just don't warrent it.

just food for thought.

roostergun 08-05-2007 11:50 PM

Yeah, But is a Muzzle Loader considerd a FIREARM tho ? Because they dont even do a back ground check on them . Fellons probly buy them everyday ???

Colorado Luckydog 08-06-2007 12:05 AM

I work with a guy who just got off of parole. He says he can shoot and own a bow. He never mentioned a muzzle loader. But he's also a serious dumb ass. I would think they could own the bow, muzzle loader, and bb and pellet guns because there is no background check. I wouldreally like to know if they could buy a hunting license.[X(]

IL_ray_phillips 08-06-2007 04:45 AM

Laws vary from state to state on the definition of a firearm. In IL a felon cannot have a muzzleloader.