Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Permission to hunt

Old 07-18-2007, 11:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Permission to hunt

Yep, I would think that most folks (although I have my doubts about a few folks on here) would be less inclined to say no to someone who is wanting to take their kid, or a kid, hunting. In fact, when Lanse Jr. is a little older I plan to make full use of him when it comes to trying to get some hunting spots here in Ohio.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:17 AM
Typical Buck

In Ohio you can call your local district Department of Natural Resources office and request by county a list of landowners that are involved with the cooperative hunting program. I found out about it this year and requested info on five county's. There are probably over 70 property's on the list total. I have called maybe 15 of those and have already gained permission to hunt one 43 acre farm and another 50 acre farm. Most of the people on the list have been there for over 10-15 years. Most people said that they really don't get very many calls until the middle of the season. Also most places will only give permission to 2-3 hunters per year. So, calling right now really increases your odds.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

Actually, i tried that last year. I was looking for stuff near the greater Dayton area. Out of the numbers I tried, I got one family that had not been involved in the program for 8 years and someone else who said that they had to stop because they were getting flooded with requests. I stopped after that, but am sure that it would be a good resource for someone who is persistent, especially if they look into area much further out in the country.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:04 PM
Typical Buck

I got alot of that as well. I also asked for a couple of people who were deceased, talk about awkward. Don't be afraid to leave a message, that is how I got one of my property's, the guy actually called me back. I did find that if you go through the list and cherry pick the big farms like 600 acres your gonna get shot down pretty quickly, you gotta call those little 30-70 acre people. They always seem to be suprised that your calling.