Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

asking permission to hunt

Old 04-26-2007, 05:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default asking permission to hunt

i am looking to get access to a couple properties for this fall. when would be a good time to ask people?
Old 04-26-2007, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: asking permission to hunt

ASAP!!!
Old 04-26-2007, 06:06 PM
Typical Buck

ya as soon as possible so the good spots arent gone!
Old 04-26-2007, 08:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

yesterday
Old 04-26-2007, 10:27 PM
Typical Buck

I go trompin' up doorsteps all across the county looking for more ground every year, be polite, and don't just call them up on the phone, means much more to show up in person. good luck!
Old 04-27-2007, 03:32 AM

i start asking asap but if they want a lease i ask to walk the property a couple of times
Old 04-28-2007, 08:40 AM
Dominant Buck

The sooner the better and good luck. Present yourself in a nice way and you might get some permission.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

A great time of the year is during hay season. Offer to help the farmer put up his hay. Another great way to get permission is to help him fix, or run new fence. The more you help, the more you will be welcome. I am a land owner. If you are not willing to help with some of the work that needs to be done, then do not ask. Hunting on some one's property is a privilege, not a right. Tom.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:17 AM
RMA
Fork Horn

I agree with Tom I always ask long before the season starts. I asked if I can help around the farm since I grew up around one. I also share the game with them.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah, what the head said as far as doing work to earn the priviledge. BUT ASK NOW! That gives the folks to think about it, find themselves in a spot where they will NEED your help and an opportunity to maybe stop by again.

Depending upon your community (and you), offering up some sort of reference(s) can help. Maybe your Aunt or someone works with someone in the family you want to ask permission of. i.e. "Hi, I'm Curt Hoffart. My Aunt Helen works with your wife over at the mill. Listen, I wouldn't think of asking someone I really don't know for something for free. I feel good earning my keep. I can see you got a really nice farm here and nice farms like yours don't just happen - they require work. Would you be open to a fella helping you out on your farm in exchange for some hunting?"

90+% of the timehe's been asked more than once before - but you will probobly be the first to actually make an association with him (Aunt works withthe wife), compliment his work (nice farm), offer some muscle and then ask for permission.

Even if he initially says no, it doesn't hurt to stop by again sometime to say hi and drop another subtle compliment. Who knows, he might say something like, "So did you find anywhere to deer hunt this fall? Ya know Clem Watkins over on County Line Road was telling me the deer eat his crops pretty hard over there. You might want to talk to him. Tell him I sent you. He's a pretty good guy."

Good luck, keep your chin and faith up.

Quick Reply: asking permission to hunt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.