Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 question about shotgun only states... >

question about shotgun only states...

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

question about shotgun only states...

Old 07-10-2007, 01:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: question about shotgun only states...

I hunt in Illinois. I'm not that excited about using anything beyond a shotgun, including center line muzzleloaders that shoot like a 30-30. But, it would make sense to regulate it by counties since some are as hilly and sparsely populated as some centerfire states while in others its damn near crowded enough to make shooting pellet guns dangerous.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:46 PM
Fork Horn

I live in Michigan and there is a shotgun only line that runs through the middle of the Lower Peninsula. Everything North of this line, rifles are allowed. Below, is shotgun only. I am told the reasoning behind this is the number of hunters per square mile and the population densities. Both are higher in the southern Lower Peninsula.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:01 PM

yea in maryland its shotgun only except for the two farthest counties west and east, i believe they are garret out west and cambridge on eastern shore.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

yep, both of those counties allow rifles now. I believe Chautauqua is the only one that doesn't.
Better get to know your regs better.
Onondaga is still shotgun only, as is Cayuga,Cortland, Tompkins and most of the southern zone.

Steve
Old 07-10-2007, 05:12 PM

there are a few that don't, and I never said I was for sure, so thanks for clarifying it.....Chautauqua is my main point of focus...
Bow, Muzzleloader, Handgun, and Shotgun Areas:
All of the following counties, except the areas listed in parentheses: Albany (except WMU 4J which is bow only), Broome (except that portion of Broome County east of the Susquehanna River, where rifles are also legal), Cayuga, Chautauqua, Chemung, Cortland, Dutchess, Erie (except WMU 9C which is closed to big game hunting), Genesee, Livingston, Madison, Monroe (except WMU 8C which is bow only), Niagara, Onondaga, Ontario, Orleans, Putnam, Rockland, Schenectady, Schuyler, Seneca, Steuben, Tompkins, Wayne, Wyoming, and Yates.

Old 07-10-2007, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just did not want peopple to get the wrong idea.
Good luck
Steve
Old 07-10-2007, 06:47 PM

I hope my state Ohio does what Indiana has allowed: pistol calibers in rifles. Believe me, 100yds and in I would much rather shoot a .44 lever action rifle then get knocked around by a slug gun. I don't understand how rifles became the "evil" tools. If an area is too densely populated for centerfire riflesto be used, chances are shotguns are not a very safe option, either.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:11 PM
Fork Horn

Shotgun only in some areas near me. No guns in others. But mostly rifle or w/e in WI.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Minnesota is shotgun in about 2/3 of the state's zones, mostly the farmland areas. Wooded areas in the north are rifle.
I just read an article in one of the outdoor mags yesterday (e.g. Field & Stream?) about this. They said that evidence is that shotguns with slugs are not less lethal than rifles in open lands. They travel as far or in some cases further with more power than some highpowers. Although, there are many magnums obviously that are more powerful.
I think it bares review and reexamination whether shotgun/slugs only is really necessary in any given area.