Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

a plot

Old 06-26-2007, 10:14 AM

Default a plot

well i hae this good plot seed but its no till throw and grow stuff. i want to put it in the midle of the woods in a bare spot. is that a good idea. i seen it off of next generation hunting/fishing show.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:21 PM
Spike

Default RE: a plot

It should be fine, maybe better since no one would be able to see it from a main road and possibly spotlight.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:46 PM
Fork Horn

Make sure that you kill off all existing vegetation in the area. You can spray with roundup and then plant a week later. I suggest raking off all the dead vegetation and or turning over the ground with a tiller. Smooth the ground off as much as possible and broadcast your seeds. Then either roll over them or walk around and make sure that they have good contact with the soil. If they are a 'no plow' type of seed, they are not meant to be under much soil - on top is better. Whatever you do, don't drag the area after you broadcast the seeds.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:20 PM
Fork Horn

yea definately make sure all prior vegetation is killed. Also i would make sure there is adequate sunlight reaching the plot.. i planted some throw n grow which didn't have much sunlight, and it didn't do soo great... i would use a metal rake and just lightly break up the soil then plant
Old 06-27-2007, 12:42 PM

Try and wait to do it right before a good rain is coming if possible too, expecially if the seed is going to be not far into the soil or on top...
Old 06-27-2007, 08:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

You would be able to collect more info and tips if you posted this samethread in the Wildlife Management forum here on HuntingNet.

Care should be taken as to the exact location of this plot. It's always very risky top plant anything anywhere without a soil test. Without knowing the proper PH, it's impossible to know how binding the soils are and what fertilizer and/or lime application you need to maximize yield. Also remember that in areas of Oaks, locust, hedge, etc, it may be VERY difficult to grow plots because of the acididty of the soil.

Good luck
Old 06-27-2007, 09:40 PM

ive tried something from cabelas that u didnt have to till. i tried it in plain jane soil and fresh " dried like dirt" manure and that crap never grew.