Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Shooting Techniques

Old 12-24-2002, 12:10 PM
Spike

Default Deer Shooting Techniques

I hope I am in the right forum. Please forgive if I am not...

I just started deer hunting last year in Virginia. So far, I have taken 3 does (not moving) with shots of 70 to 100 yards using a Winchester Model 70 using a 3x9 scoped, Winchester .270 with a Winchester 140 grain Fail Safe bullet. Yesterday, I missed a large doe from 200 yards (checked with a range finder) that was walking (broadside) across a field. Otherwise, she would have gone over a hill out of view. I put the scope high on the vital area but still missed. Is there some way I can practice shooting at moving targets with a high powered rifle? Are there any realistic software games?

Thanks for the help and Merry Christmas.

Ken
Old 12-24-2002, 12:28 PM

Default RE: Deer Shooting Techniques

Hello Ken and welcome to the bbs,

I am unfamiliar with the ballistics of the 140gr fail safe bullets, but at 200 yards with a 270 you shouldn't hold high.I know with my 257 Roberts I sight it in 1.5" high at 100 and that puts it dead on at 200.Also try and stop the deer if it is moving, you can do this by whistling or yelling at the deer, it WILL stop and look and give you a couple of seconds.Try and find a ballistics chart of the 140gr fail safe that will tell you how high to sight your rifle at 100 to put it dead on at 200.Hope that advice helped,

Mike

It's the operator that messes up....not the equipment.Have confidence in yourself and shoot straight.
Old 12-24-2002, 12:47 PM
Spike

Default RE: Deer Shooting Techniques

Thanks Mike. I think that a whistle or yell might have frozen the doe. I will remember this. The herd (10) of does froze after the shot for a second, then took off. I think they where trying to find where my shot came from.

Here is the link for the 270 ammo (a ugly long link).

http://www.winchester.com/ammunition...5ncmFuZ2U9b24=

Only a 3 inch drop at 200 yards.

Ken