Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Late season high pressured public lands? >

Late season high pressured public lands?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Late season high pressured public lands?

Old 12-21-2002, 11:25 PM
Spike

Default Late season high pressured public lands?

Is there a chance in hell of me harvesting a good buck in these areas? thats all we have here but i know there r good deer here but most of them r nocturnal i know but i was wondering if u guys could give me some tips on how to hunt these areas and when to hunt them. thanks
Old 12-22-2002, 02:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Late season high pressured public lands?

I HUNT PUBLIC LAND ALSO, DURING OUT LATE WINTER BOW SEASON, I HUNT FOOD SOURCES, OR BEDDING AREAS, TRY TO SIT AS LONG AS YOU CAN. I FIND THAT I MAYBE 1 OF THE FEW BOWHUNTERS HUNTING, THE PRESSURE IS COMING FROM GUYS DOIN SMALL GAME GUN HUNTING, AND BY LATE MORNING OR BY 12 PM THEY ARE DONE HUNTING.
Old 12-22-2002, 12:43 PM
Fork Horn

You have to get between their bedding area and where they are heading to at night. They will generally start to move around before dusk, just not much and not far. So if you get close to where they are bunking up during the day you should see some action around dusk.
Old 12-23-2002, 08:09 AM
Fork Horn

definetly food sources I hunt on private ground that is surrounded by public ground and during Illinois shotgun season all you see is orange everywhere but now that shotgun season is over I have noticed that the deer are really slow and very careful about going into the clover field but they go out there still about 45 minutes before it gets dark just like they are on a timer. But any little bity noise or movement they jump at. But there is definetly a chance for a big buck after pressure. they can't bed down all day long.
Old 12-23-2002, 09:30 AM
Spike

This is also a very hard place to pattern where thier feeding at simply because theres nothign but thick stuff and a river that runs all the way through this. like i said i know they r here but i don't know where they're bedding at, cause if u jump them off and spook them, they won't bed in the same spot so i have no idea what to do.
Old 12-23-2002, 11:24 AM

I hunt public land quite a bit.....and have been fairly successful hunting there.....here's my advice: it's not easy, but get back into the public land where your hunting....look around for the hardest place for a man to get to....steep, brushy, rocky or all....but that's where you'll find a good buck....and be careful and let someone know where you're going.

In our line of work, we must be able to play Dixie and the Battle Hym of the Republic, With Equal Enthusiasm.
Old 12-23-2002, 03:46 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]